Flying J in Breezewood, PA is closed

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bigkev1115, Dec 21, 2019.

1. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I've never done it because I know how bad McConnelsburg to Mechanicsburg is and that is a acceptable truck route. F that. For me when freight doesn't justify the turnpike tolls then it's just bad freight anyhow. If that's how PA wants it then fine by me. I have zero desire to drive out of route in a conga line of trucks skipping tolls. I can go to Florida and take that abuse. At least I get Palm trees. F them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I76 is a nightmare and it's not worth the tolls. 2 lanes most of the time, hills, bends, and it's always busy. I'll gladly bypass is any chance I get

4. sealevel

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    You keep saying two lanes and hills. Where exactly in PA do you not encounter this. 76 is not a nightmare. It's sweet in comparison. If it wasn't they wouldn't gouge the tolls. I do agree the tolls are out of control. No more for me. If the load doesn't justify the toll it's just a bad load in my book. Overpriced yes. Bad road no. The road is actually a f'n marvel compared to the rest.

5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I drive that road all the time and it is terrible. Taking RT 22 to I99 might add 15 minutes to my trip but it's what I prefer. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a road that I hate when I can bypass it and hardly waste any time?

6. sealevel

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I don't understand what's so terrible about it. If it's the cost I get it. Other than that I have done it everyway possible. It's a good road. If they toll 81 I won't take 11. I will price it accordingly.

7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

He’s probably talking about the hills, curves, and some steep upgrades on I-76. The free alternative routes are almost the same as I-76, except you need to drive more miles. For comparison, I-80 in OH and IN is a very good road (although recently I’ve been avoiding that route for a free one).

sealevel Thanks this.
  8. sealevel

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Lol. I knew you would come along to tell me I'm wrong. We have been through this before and you have compelling arguments. Lol Just the way I feel. The road has out.priced me in most cases. But dang. It's a good road. If anyone says it's not a good road I have to believe they are just upset by the tolls. It's the best road in PA.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Agree nothing wrong with pa pike(except cost) road is fine.I use it every week.

sealevel Thanks this.
  10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    US 30 east of Breezewood is pretty bad, should be avoided. US 30 west of Bedford is horrible. However PA 31,west of Bedford isn't that bad, at least it wasn't years ago. Lots of big fleets like Roadway ran it, bragged about the money saved back then. And this is when it cost $19. to run class 7 from Breezewood to Ohio,$11. Breezewood to New Stanton.

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It may be the best road in PA, but certainly not a very good road compared to most free roads in the US. I used to take I-76 a lot, but after running some numbers I realized how expensive toll roads are in PA. I’ll take them again if I need to save time, but fortunately, I usually have 30 or 60 minutes to spare and can take a free road and save myself $90 from New Stanton to Harrisburg.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.