Flying to rescue truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BigpopperRunner, May 30, 2023.

1. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    It’s been a really long time since I used this forum but anyways my company will be flying me out to wells Nevada tomorrow morning to rescue a truck. (Flying from LAX to elko Nevada then taking a taxi to wells approximately 1 hr to get there from taxi ride).I want to make it back home because the guys truck is dirty, it will be a 10 hr drive back to Los Angeles from wells Nevada. Anyways since I’m flying, am I able to drive the 11 hrs back to California or does the flight count as on-duty time? Assuming I’m not logged in till I start driving. The flight is roughly 4 hrs because of layover. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also am I able to bring jumper cables with me on the flight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    On Duty not driving, legally.

Motel room, receipt.
    Last recovery i did the truck didn’t have anything on it, chains and straps, and tarps sold off

gentleroger, InTooDeep and Mnmover99 Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    When traveling at the direction of the motor carrier all travel time is to be recorded as on-duty not driving unkess you arrive in the same town as the truck and take 10 consecutive hours off-duty prior to picking up the truck. If you have 10 off prior to getting the truck that time must be recorded as off-duty.

See 395.1
    (j) Travel time
    (1) When a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver at the direction of the motor carrier is traveling, but not driving or assuming any other responsibility to the carrier, such time must be counted as on-duty time unless the driver is afforded at least 10 consecutive hours off duty when arriving at destination, in which case he/she must be considered off duty for the entire period.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    just make sure your company knows your travel time is on duty Or they will be getting pissed off at you without knowing the rules.

7. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Thing is that the last time my company screwed me over, me and another driver missed our first flight to Albuquerque NM and got another flight later on, we left our terminal at 7am and didn’t get to the dealership 5pm (new Mexico time, an hr forward). I was supposed to get paid for 10 hrs on duty BUT our crappy company said we can only pay you a flat rate (between $130-150) That’s why I posted on this forum about the flight and on duty time. I would have made more getting that 9 hrs.

8. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    Understandable, but if your a w2 your company is wide open to a lawsuit. 1099? That’s a different story.

9. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    My company operates under a w2, ALOT of drivers have sued our company lol.

10. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    I guess you have your answer.

BigpopperRunner Thanks this.
  11. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I hope the truck you gonna rescue is clean. lol

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.