forgetting to lowering landing gear...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FrankieCarbone, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Just yesterday I dropped an empty bulk tanker at a loading yard for another driver. While I was pulling out from under.it I saw the passenger side of the trailer drop about 6 inches. I got out and looked at it and only the driver's side landing gear lowered. The shaft that runs to the passenger side was missing a bolt. Thankfully it was empty lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    That mindset will make you old early. Get out of it. I don't rush around,it causes mishaps and ulcers. Hauling machinery you can't afford mishaps and there's never a good time for an ulcer.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    it happens

5. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    I’ve only dropped while dropping.After hooking I (100% of the time ) get under with a flashlight.

6. Rcranch81

Rcranch81 Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2020
    Saved me a couple of times newbies at my old job leaving trailers too hi and heavy snows watched 3 guys in one day drop trailers at US Foods depot due to snow one requires a rather large tow truck to keep it from falling over

O.Henry and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I would be lying if I said I used a flashlight all the time. The key here is to know how to properly care for a 5th wheel. If everything is right, the 5th wheel should lift the trailer front end up about 2 inches as the kingpin slides into the grove and behind the locking mechanism. Then I always shut off my engine and supplied air to the trailer and put my 4 ways on. I would walk around the trailer inspecting the tires, ICC bumper, all the lights and make sure the legals were all there and accounted for. All the while listening for any possible air leaks. If you have a good 5th wheel and there is no space between the 5th wheel and the trailer once you tug test all should be OK. I have had this discussion many times with drivers. Every time I do they say well a tug test is not 100% anything can happen. This is true, but a physical inspection is also not 100% for that same reason. Once that locking mechanism is locked it should be OK. However, I can't stress in the strongest of terms that as a driver you MUST learn how to take care of your 5th wheel and how to know if it is damaged. If you don't understand how to do this get a mechanic to show you.

Another thing! It is not necessary to get a 50-foot run while backing under. I have seen drivers hit trailers so hard they push the thing back several feet. This can also cause a landing gear to get into such a bind that it is almost impossible to raise it. Developing a habit of slamming into trailers can bend a kingpin and bend the heck out of that 5th wheel locking mechanism, and actually cause the cargo to fall. Easy does it, grease the dang thing and inspect it at least every 2 or 3 weeks.

If you drive for a carrier with high turnovers and get a tractor, that 5th wheel should be the VERY first thing you look at. I can't stress enough that you know what to look for here. Green drivers, as well as more experienced drivers that don't give a (redacted), have long histories with damaging 5th wheels and kingpins. Bent kingpins can be VERY dangerous. If you have ANY doubt about a 5th wheel and the shop won't address it. Call safety. Most safety critters know how to properly inspect one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    In my rookie year I didn't do a tug test before raising the landing gear up.....ooops.....every time now, I go under and look and do the tight test

O.Henry and PE_T Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Once under I put GENTLE pressure to tug test before I even got out. I just never went under to physically place eyeballs on the locking mechanism. I was confident in my equipment and my judgment upon looking at the space between the 5th wheel and the trailer. I did once or twice go under, but the dynamics of the reasons were totally different.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The jaws can be closed but not able to pull any weight. That's to say it LOOKS exactly like it is OK but it will drop the trailer when trailer brakes are applied. This can happen when almost high hooking.

If you back under a trailer but it doesn't securely latch do this: Pull the 5th wheel handle out ALL THE WAY AND HOLD IT OUT FOR 5 SECONDS. This resets the spring/mechanism. Then back under the trailer and make firm contact with kingpin & 5th wheel. Pull HARD against the kingpin to verify you have a secure connection.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    When I first started driving hauling milk a few years ago I had a Funky fifth wheel on my Company Kenworth.

I was having problems getting it to totally lock around the pin even with a experienced driver helping me out

Our shop worked on it twice that week. Went back out to the farm and hooked up and crawled under and verified the latching along with the experienced driver.

Tug tested it and trailer unlatched after a hard tug. I brought the truck back to the shop and went to the owner and got a different truck.

tscottme and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.