Frozen mac n cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by cdavis188, Dec 23, 2022.

1. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Delivered to a Sysco and they rejected 9 cases of Popeyes Mac n Cheese. Filled out OSD form and dispatch told me to toss them. Obviously I don't have the room to store 9 cases of frozen product on my truck but I swiped a couple bags of it. Each bag is about a pound maybe 2. What would be the best way to cook it? I have a microwave and bowls so I was thinking of thawing it out in my fridge and then putting it in a bowl and cooking it that way. Would that work? Or is there a better way?

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    That stuff is typically heated in a steamer, so in boiling water is probably your best option. Once it’s hot, pull the bag, cut it, and dinner will be served.

Sirscrapntruckalot and cdavis188 Thank this.
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Should work.

Shouldn't be any different than if you were heating up left overs from the freezer.

I could be wrong but eh, it's mac n cheese. Can't be that complicated.

In the future if you end up with frozen tacos, I'll be glad to give you my address and send you a package containing pictures of me gleefully eating them.

;)

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    The problem with microwaving a solid 1-2lb chunk of food is a microwave doesn’t evenly heat. It’ll burn in spots and/or melt the bag.

Usually, food like this is cut out of the bag and put into a steamer pan used in a steam table. A steamer evenly thaws and heats the food, without hot spots or burning it. Likewise, leaving it in a bag, dropping it into a pot of water, then, heating it eliminates burning the food. You gotta’ look at this as an institutional-sized serving of food and heat it like they would.

6. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

I kind of figured it was a given to break it up. ;)

Hell, run it under cold water thaw it out some, toss in a bowl, nuke it how you like it.

Or a chisel.

Or find a way to steam it. But that's boring. I like that the OP is taking a non-traditional approach to this.

If anyone needs a mac n cheese fix, but doesn't have time to fix it, I offer to you...

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

Capacity, Chinatown and ducnut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.