Fuel your truck while running

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scatruck, May 16, 2011.

1. foofy

foofy Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2011
    west chester, Pa
    safety mandates shut-down. The fuel return line heats the fuel to its flash point and creates a fire hazard (feel the return line). Shut-down reduces the hazard when fueling.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KajunTankerYanker

KajunTankerYanker Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2011
    GrandLake,Louisiana
    in my 35 years of driving. i leave um running, cars,trucks"gas & diesel" lawnmowers,generators, etc, the only thing i turn off is my weedeater!

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

So you've gained 3 years of Exp in you first month of being a member?:biggrin_2558:

And just because you've been driving a long time does NOT mean its any safer for you to leave the engine running on a gas vehical while you fuel it. :biggrin_25512:

American Trucker

5. tobie town trucker

tobie town trucker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    Hey now! He's a truck driver, not a mathmatician

6. tobie town trucker

tobie town trucker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    And he said he's been driving for 35 and trucking for 32. Last time I checked we can drive something other than a truck.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It doesn't hurt anything to fuel while it is running. This like the ninny's argument that we all should have to get out of our trucks backwards using 3 points of contact because 1 guy fell on his face a long long time ago. There's nothing wrong with getting out of your truck face first if you know what you are doing and are coordinated and not a clutz.

8. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    I fuel my truck on high idle while smoking a cigarette....

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    But do you fuel both tanks at the same time with hazmat placards like me though?

It's also the best time to check the oil while its running to get an accurate reading.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX
    No offense but you being a 22 year old A&P and an "auto mechanic" doesn't automatically invoke trust. I was an aviation QAR before you had hair on your nether regions and built race cars for a living for 10 years, does that mean I should be trusted with any information I choose to give out whether it's right or wrong?

I only ask because yours in wrong. I taught aviation maintenance from 2005 to 2007 as well and 1 in 10 students were bright enough to make the classes interesting. The rest, like you, simply took the class and automatically assumed they knew everything.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    All while wearing a hazmat suit and hardhat.. I also check my belts while it's running too....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.