FYI secure your fire extinguishers…

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by PureLeafTea, Mar 15, 2023.

1. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I know a lot of drivers probably already know this or say they do anyway and I am sure I’ll be called an idiot and it serves me right, etc etc etc… but I didn’t know it was a regulation you have to have your fire extinguisher secured. You can’t just have one.

I had mine just sitting next to my seat and that’s not good enough. It must be secured. I find this regulation stupid, but that’s just me. Sure it would be a projectile and sure it has dropped on the ground more than once I will admit, but me personally I think all that should matter is you have one. I’m sure it’s a million CSA points knowing our government.

So guys and gals… secure your fire extinguishers!

ps - this reminds me of the time I got a violation for not having “US” in front of “DOT.” Yeah because that’s what is wrong with our country.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Part of me can understand a regulation requiring securement, as that keeps the extinguisher in one place, where it can be found regardless of what happens, but another part of me says that those badges who don't simply advise the driver or issue a warning are full-on revenue collectors, lol. o_O

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    If anyone has a link to an ACTUAL REAL DEAL NOT A POS securement bracket for a fire extinguisher - tried and tested, I’m all ears.

I have my flimsy holder cable tied (secured) shut - because of the OP.

It’s the first easy find for an a-hole officer, right when you open the door.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I got nailed for that in Colorado one time. Along with having a 12" piece of reflective tape missing from the trailer. Figured he was going to find something and if that was all it was that was ok.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well it isn't stupid, it is there for a lot of reasons, one is safety. I had a driver who was hit in the head by one that was sitting on the seat, when he was hit by another truck who ran a red light. The other driver didn't survive but my driver was hit so hard that he ended up in the hospital in a coma for a month and when he got out of the coma he had to learn how to walk and talk, the guy is fully disabled and needs someone to watch him 24/7.

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Buckeye makes a nice extinguisher with a good metal/stainless/ aluminum strap bracket. I get them from Truck Pro. A Little higher priced but it is all metal head and trigger and is lifetime rechargeable. No plastic head and trigger throwaway after one time use with crappy plastic always breaks hold down strap like the cheap Kiddes or First Alert’s the truck stop sells.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  8. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Besides being a projectile in the cab, I have seen quite a few fire extinguishers rolling around loose under the seat or in the side box that have somehow shot themselves off and are now discharged. Not going to be any good if you had a fire.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Plus a 3rd party (citizen) will be able to possibly help with the truck on fire, that's IF he can find the extinguisher that's rolling around somewhere in the cab, instead of being secured in plain sight.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A loose fire extinguisher could cause a crash if it were to roll underneath the brake pedal, or could cause a fall if it rolled out of the cab and landed on the step or on the ground where the driver would step as they exited the cab.

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    (I'll preface my post with the fact that I owned a fire extinguisher sales & service business when I worked at the fire dept during the 1980's.)

You really dont want it loose for all the reasons posted above. Accidental discharge, rolling around under your feet & accelerator/brake petals & damage to the extinguisher.

I'd suggest getting a mfg bracket that is supposed to be used with that extinguisher you have. If you dont, chances are, the little band that goes around the extinguisher wont fit right (loose or tight), and the latch on it that locks & makes it secure, wont stay locked.
    Again, let me be clear, if that latch aint locked... it aint secure & you'll get another ticket down the road. The latch has to be locked for it to be considered secure.
    There are some good universal brackets that are made kinda like a "C" & you just push the fire extinguisher into the "C".

You can zip tie the bracket but not the fire extinguisher. And you cant zip tie the bracket shut. You can not zip tie the latch.
    I'll just throw this out there just in case some of you have your fire extinguisher zip tied in place. Not allowed... You'll get a ticket for it. By regulation, it has to be "Readily Accessible". Which means its got to be ready to grab & go. Digging for a pocket knife or a crow bar to break the zip tie isnt considered readily accessible & again.... will get you a ticket. As well, you can't have stuff piled on top of it. Blankets, rags, tool boxes, etcetera. If you have to look for it, dig for it or move anything, its not readily accessible. You can be given a ticket for it.
    If the little pull tie thinggy on the pin is broken or missing, you can get a ticket for it. If the pin is missing, you'll get a ticket.
    This is part of the things an officer looks for when he inspects your fire extinguisher. FMCSA adopts a lot of rules that you never know about. It aint got to be spelled out in detail. Its all part of "Readily Accessible". Its all part of what FMCSA calls Operational. It has to be operational... in good working order... ready to use.... ready to grab & go.
    Its got to be secure & operational.

Finally & most importantly, make sure the gauge needle is in the green. If the needle is outside of the green area...... too much or too little... its a ticket.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.