Gap in the bottom of my Belly Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by OldRed98, Jan 13, 2018.

1. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I have a question for anyone who runs a dump trailer.

I just bought a used belly dump that ended up needing some work. I've finally got everything done and I have some loads to run next week.

One of my gates has a gap on one end... 1/4 inch to a little over a quarter in one spot. Not sure why the one side is not fully closed ... The air piston looks closed all the way and I don't see anything to adjust it.

I'll be hauling crushed asphalt/recycled aggregate. I just don't want to load for the first time and have material leaking going down the highway.... I have to do (6+) 20 mile runs.

How would you fix this? Should I just weld a shim onto the gate? might be a pain to weld in that gap but I'm sure I can make it work. Would you run with that gap? Dump Gate 1.jpg Gate 2.jpg Gate 2.jpg Any ideas are appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Here's what I ended up doing. We'll see if it holds up okay. I welded a strip of steel overlapping the gap. It was actually really hard to weld in... The gate has dents and dips and also looks like someone welded something on here before. So my weld isn't pretty but should be strong.

That metal might just bend when I open the gate on my first dump. Guess we'll on Wednesday
    IMG_1734.JPG

Grubby, tucker and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Don't haul any pea gravel. ;-)

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  5. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    No kidding... At least it should keep away the tailgaters

Grubby and okiedokie Thank this.
  6. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    If you pinged n woke a bear up he might get very upset while he is trying get them green stamps

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  7. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I've ran about 40 tons through my trailer this week and so far my welded flap has held up just fine... and not losing any material that I can tell (hauling recycled crushed asphalt which is pretty thin). At least the tailgaters are still on my bumper.

baha and blade Thank this.
  8. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    How much did you pick up that trailer for if you don’t mind me asking ?

9. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I got a really good deal that turned into not such a good deal. Its an old 70's FRUEHAUF Belly dump. Looked to be in great shape (based on pics)... So I bought it through an auction in North Dakota for $5000.00. Drive 13 hours to pick it up and when I get there all the tires are weather checked, the main air lines are broken in half, hub caps are all leaking, and 2 brake chambers were done for. Someone just backed the brakes off and took it to the auction.

The good news is that it has been broken for a looooonggg time. So the frame, paint, brake pads, and everything else is in good shape.

Got it home and had to rewire it due to power to ground issues and install a new versa gate valve too. SO I'm into it for about $12,000. Not quite the deal I hoped for.

I probably could have bought a functioning but beat up belly dump for 12K.... But at least for 12K I have all brand new tires, 2 new brake chambers, new air lines, and a trailer thats in pretty solid shape.

Belly Dump.jpg

Grubby, Ruthless, Blackshack46 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    And a ###### set up!! :biggrin_25514: That’s sharp dude!

Grubby, Blackshack46 and OldRed98 Thank this.
  11. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    Thanks for the reply looks great behind that kenworth.

Grubby and OldRed98 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.