Gave 2 weeks notice, boss can't/won't get me home.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by row684, Oct 28, 2014.

1. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Hmmmm he's done his part yes however IF he calls the terminal again to reconfirm his plans THEY may tell the shipper not to load him or cut off his fuel card......

I say you have done your part....load and proceed to terminal.......and if you just have to then call within fuel range of terminal....( nuff fuel to get in )

You know, just in case.....

JMO

drvrtech77 and hal380 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Document EVERYTHING with time stamped photos, the load dropped in the yard intact, the clean truck you turned in full of fuel... make copies of all your bills and logs in case you get screwed out of pay for the last few weeks.

They can probably still nail your DAC for "quit under dispatch" , which you can fight. Did you give them a notice in writing?

drvrtech77 and hal380 Thank this.
  4. MadeinMX

MadeinMX Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Mexico
    My advice would be: Do not pick up the load. Once you pick up the load you are signing for it and you are responsable, you do not know who will deliver it and how he or she will proceed, and I am talking about damages and/or stealing. They will try to blame you. You pay for the fuel back home emty and park the truck in their yard, call you boss and tell him you are cleaning the truck and leaving it in his yard. Take photos and everything, keep record of your messages with your boss and/or download a phone call recording app in your phone.

If he is playing this game, i am pretty sure he will not be a good reference in your resume no matter how you handle this situation.

loose_leafs, hal380 and chalupa Thank this.
  5. Floorguy1

Floorguy1 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Duluth MN
    Wow. I'm new to the trucking world and as I read post after post about employers screwing drivers over and playing childish games all the time. WHY???? I don't get it???? This is a real world a real job and a tough job at that. They want us to be professionals why can't they? I guess I'm lucky to get a professional place to work or maybe just haven't been driving long enough to know better. Lol

hal380 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I ran for an Albuqueerque company owned by Danny Box's Dad, RF. He would promise time off and bring us into ABQ, fuel the truck and say, we need you to deliver this in CA or NY. I finally after 6wks of going thru and seeing my wife for 20 min at a time, went in and said, You promised, I quit. He said, I'll never recommend you for another job and I said I'll never tell anyone I worked for you. He started to get up and I am a Vet from Vietnam and told him he'd be best off to stay behind his desk. Leave the truck in the yard. You gave notice, you aren't a slave.

7. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Because trucking is a different world...and there are a lot of UNprofessional employers and employees.... both ends of the stick.

In a perfect world youre right, but the world isnt perfect.
    There is no driver shortage, there is an overabundance of trashy steering wheel holders, and trashy companies using them as pawns against the real professionals to keep wages and morale low.

8. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Post of the day. Brief and to the point. Nailed it.

hal380 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Dear Boss, I will be heading home soon to begin my new job, is there anything you would like me to bring along?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Also take pictures of the truck sitting in his yard...that way you also have photgraphic evidence of you properly returning his equipment...usually if you use a smart phone some also have date/time stamp and location picture was taken...that'll cover you're behind...just don't say anything else to him until you get to Logan...

NavigatorWife and hal380 Thank this.
  11. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    You sound young and if I was your father which I'm assuming I'm old enough to be I would TELL you to do this. Pick up your load in Houston and head home. and park the truck and trailer at a truckstop. Send your boss an email telling him where the truck is.

You can probably kiss your last paycheck goodbye even though legally he owes it to you even though you left the truck. It's a pain going to court so get on with your life and get over it.

DO NOT answer any phone calls, emails or txt messages from your boss. Just ignore him all together. Legally he can do nothing to you. You haven't done anything wrong.

And come back in here when your heading up to ND and tell us how it's going and what it's like. You should do well up there. Save your money and you can come back in a year with enough to buy a real nice truck of your own and lease on.

One more thing. Don't worry about him reporting you to DAC. Chances are he's too small and cheap to pay for the subscription. Even if he did you have an excellent reason for it to be cleared.

The Challenger, drvrtech77 and hal380 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.