GD, wabash, stoughton

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by abyliks, Nov 25, 2023.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Thoughts? Got hit last week by a 4 wheeler and Not sure what my insurance company is going to do, pretty sure they are going to total out my utility though from the sounds of it (and there is zero chance I am buying another one of those) so, new 53 or 54’ reefer, what’s everyone’s thoughts, probably white sides but I really need a spread, not opposed to full stainless either, I may be able to get away with just swapping the slider for right now but either way my trailer is getting tired. so I’m going to need an upgrade before summer gets here anyway

. Had my sights set on a hound but I’ve been told don’t be scared of a wabash, then was looking around for a dealer and noticed one local place was stoughton, which I thought used to be pretty good, (not sure about now), so just curious whose had what and what they like about each, Hyundai is also out from what I’ve seen as well unless someone really loves one that they want to change my mind on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    GD best longevity in terms of build quality, cost a bit more. Utility very close 2nd. Wabash/Vanguard start to notice sidewalls bowing/cracking just above scuff guard, just weren't as sturdy after about 7 years time. Never pulled Hyundai I can remember at least. Wasn't aware Stoughton even built reefers. Way back in my early trucking days they made good dry vans.

Jarhed1964, bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    At my company we use utility and hyundai. Both work. I like the way the hyundai trailers have the air hoses held up better than the utility

Jarhed1964 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    haven’t actually looked at a stoughton reefer yet honestly but I noticed they had vans, I’ll talk with the dealer Monday, could be a moot point

seems every once In a while you see an old super 2 rolling down the road it’s always on the front of an old GD, I do think they will be my first choice

The floor in my utility is shot, and I have always hated the way the doors close

I don’t mind fixing things, but I’m done throwing money at old trailers, so plan is to take best care as I can and try to get 10-12 years out of it then get my money back out of it

Jarhed1964, bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Back in the day, Stoughton made the composite wall reefer.
    Not sure what they have now.

7. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    thoughts on vanguard trailers? Yay nay?

I do LTL and always have a bulkhead up for frozen

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    First one I had was a vanguard. Previous employer bought new for me to haul and I later bought it off him when got my first truck. Thing cracked badly above scuff guard. Thermal efficiency not great, became not suitable for frozen in summer any longer. Maintain maybe 80 degree difference. It was new in 2010 and I sold in early 2018.

Jarhed1964 and abyliks Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.