Generator for the tractor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beethoven, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Beethoven

Beethoven Light Load Member

May 3, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    My apu sucks and I am sick of paying insane amounts for repairs and pm's for it. I am thinking a generator would be a better idea. Does any know of a good QUIET generator that will survive being on the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Going into my 3rd summer with a Honda 2000 watt generator. It weighs about 50 pounds, runs almost 8 hours on one gallon of gasoline and runs my little portable air conditioner. I bought it one day when I was off duty, did a quick search for Honda dealers on google near me, but an easier way is to just go to the Ontario Oregon Pilot, there is a Honda dealer just steps away from the truck stop. He's got 'em for about $995 and the bonus is Oregon has no sales tax--- shhhhhhhh. He's also got some 2 gallon and 6 gallon marine type extend run tanks so you can run it for 20 hours straight with the 2 gallon option.

Attached Files:

4. EverLuc

EverLuc Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Yup yup yup. The EU2000 Honda is the way to go. I have seen the 3000 Honda in operation powering a food vending trailer, and you wouldn't believe how quiet it runs. I am always trying to win a 2000 for cheap on ebay. They usually always go for regular retail price though.

5. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Scottie - can you make your own ice cubes w/ that AC? It looks huge in the truck but I can't argue with it b/c I hate the heat more than most! Nice setup!

TruckRunner and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. blazer1

blazer1 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    so. jersey
    Those Hondas are the preferred generator for campers as well because of how quiet they are.

mphill49 and scottied67 Thank this.
  7. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    yep..i own a honda 3000 for my toyhauler and it is quiet. will run about 7 hours on one gal tank. my buddy has a 2000 and his will run 12 hours on a gal tank with heater,tv, and lights running. the 3000 is about 90 lbs.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. 217flatbedr

217flatbedr Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Don't rule out Yamaha.

Yves kanevil Thanks this.
  9. GreyBeardVa

GreyBeardVa Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2013
    VA
    I saw this on YouTube and it got me thinking about why I would spend the money on an APU. Now, I don't have the skill the guy in the video has but the portable with a vented A/C is a great idea. I've seen smaller vented A/C units than Scottie's but I wonder if they'd make ice cubes??

10. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    I got a generac 2000w two years ago. I call it my life boat. got it at gemplers.com. also always carry small compressor by emglo on board also.two small tanks at 40 lbs. they are very handy.got the gen set for 649.00

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    That's right! The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a real top notch portable generator and actually has some design features that are better than the Honda EU2000.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/475/0/home.aspx

Don't get me wrong here. The Honda EU2000 is a great portable. But I believe the Yamaha EF2400iSHC edges it out. And even better..... you can get one of these Yamaha portables that are true multi fuel generators..... gasoline, propane, and natural gas. Not just one or the other... all three options on one portable.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com

And you can get custom made boxes for mounting just about any portable on your truck here.....

http://www.hayesequipment.com/hayes_products.htm

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.