Getting ready for Driver's Solutions in Fort Wayne, IN

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by VIDEODROME, Feb 7, 2008.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I've been working with a recruiter this week and if things go well I might start my training next Monday for USA Truck. Anyway here are a few newbie questions.

How does USA Truck pay you? Is it a regular check or direct deposit? Or one of those Debit Pay Cards? I was just wondering how I should plan to handle my bills.

Do I need to bring extra sleeping gear for myself for the truck when I'll be out with a trainer later?

Also I already passed the Michigan Permit test but it is not valid at this Indiana school. I figure at least I've had practice and hopefully I'll get through that part without to much trouble.

As a driver do you take the tractor home with you? Do you ever have to take loads home as well during hometime?

Any tips for the Pre-Trip test and shifting are welcome. I take it USA is a manual shift fleet?

EDIT: change of plans. It looks like I will be hooking up with P.A.M. now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckingirl3603

truckingirl3603 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey there! Are you getting excited? I went through Driver Solutions' Indy campus and drove for USA Truck for 2 years.. I loved CDL training! It was especially fun for me because I'd never driven a truck before.. the instructors were awesome, very informative, and the equipment was nice and pretty new.. I've heard good things about the Fort Wayne school too. PAM is a good company to work for too, I know they are a lot better with hometime than USA is, but overall I don't have a whole lot of complaints. I know that with PAM you take the tractor home on your days off, and I think they will do either direct deposit OR a Comdata card depending on how you want to get paid. I'd write down your questions and ask your recruiter when you call to make sure :) Good luck, keep us updated!!!

4. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    I am currently a driver for USA been with them 5 months,your check can be mailed to you,you can do direct deposit,or have it put on your com data card.If you do direct deposit it wont be in your bank till Mondays excluding holidays that fall on a Monday then it will go in on Tuesdays.Comdata charges you a fee to get your money off of the card it works like a atm card can be used at any atm.You can take your tractor home if you have a secure place to park it.You could possibly be sent home under a load sometimes.I was due home last Friday came through the house with a load on Thursday that delivered in Fort Worth Texas Friday morning then i was off for 3 days.Seems to be a good company to work for just get your loads delivered on time and early if possible and they will keep you rolling.Good luck

5. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Can a Mod move this to the PAM forum? My carrier assignment changed from USA.

Anyway I'm just back at the house briefly to take care of some things. So far I thought week 1 went smoothly. I got my permit without any real difficulty.

Now I'm halfway through week 2. Things seem a little hectic here. The school is getting a little behind because of some truck breakdowns and the weather. It is really cold there with a nasty wind chill.

So far I've done just a little bit of driving and managed to get through their off side and parallel parking exercise. The instructor Steve seemed pleased that I didn't need a pull up on the off side parking. Tomorrow I should get more driving time and improve my gear shifting. I'd like to do the parallel parking again to.

Despite the craziness from the weather I'm feeling optimistic about completing this program. I'm not sure when I'll get internet access again but I'll post an update when I'm online again.

6. Blues_Dad

Blues_Dad Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    i went through fort wayne c1 last summer. Tim the classroom instructor is funny as ####. He was my range instructor when I went through. Hopefully he's telling you all the funny stories about his wife. Had us all pissing our pants laughing. Don't get nervous about those state tester guys. No one ever wants the short little guy, thinks he's mean as ####, but he was my tester, and they guy was nice as could be. One thing to remember on your state test. There is one part of road at the end that is 35 mph, and he will tell you to go faster. Don't question him about it like i did, just do it. He got pissed at me about that. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.