Glad I moved over to Poly Trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chemster, Jun 18, 2012.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    let me explain this one more time, if it comes up again please just copy and paste this post in the future.
    from what i know here it does no good to tell outbound u want to be home in a month when they have no way of knowing what runs u will pick or where your backhaul will go for the next month, for the most part its not hard to figure out where u will end up if u have read this thread, even then there is no guarentee. outbound has nothing to do with backhaul so once u take a load its out of outbounds hands untill u kno when u will be back to poly and request a load home. lets say u live in maine and u take a load to jersey, u will not be getting a load from jersey to maine, u would get a backhaul back to poly then request a a load home thats delivers within 150 miles of ur home. i stay out about 3wks but start planning for my next home time and where i will go and end up the minute i leave home, if ive been out 2 weeks and want to go home in a week it would do me no good to go out west, so i take somthin shorter or somthin to an area where i kno the backhauls will get me where i need to be. now if u breakdown then its obvious that will change things, after all this is otr trucking. recently i complained about not getting home with the new dispatch, but that was only because i had done everything right and put myself where i needed to be it just seemed like all of a sudden there were no loads to get me home and in my area that shouldnt be a problem. im still waiting to see if it becomes a problem and i will go from there.i will be making it home for christmas but not because outbound got me there but because i knew which runs to take or not to take to get me where i needed to be and it worked out. as JD said in the beginning this is an otr job and u need to be flexable, if not i would say get a local job or buy a truck an route urself home, thats what i would do if it doesnt work out but i dont think everyone understands how it works here, i didnt before i came but ive adapted. i cant debate the breakdowns because each if us have had our own experience with that. well im done ramblin but i just wanted to point out that i think its useless to request a load home untill u kno u will be back at poly for that load, outbound has no control over what happens in between, how could they when we pick our outbound runs and backhaul takes it from there. like i tell my family when they ask if i will be home for christmas, when you see me pull in then i will be home, untill then anything is possible.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

tucker, jdrentzjr and ampm wayne Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Hudson, Florida
    I'm pretty sure they aren't going to worry about a driver that has put in his two weeks notice. Doesn't matter how many times you told them or what you told them. They have almost every driver trying to get somewhere during the holidays and during a slow period. I know it's a huge suprise the guy with his two weeks notice in , is getting screwed.

I know it's wrong and it sucks but it shouldn't be suprising.

4. bigcat1124

bigcat1124 Heavy Load Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    At the time that was all they had. It was either take a west, or sit. Didn't plan on sitting in the Henderson area for 3 days waiting on a load and was only offered two west loads.

5. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I understand I'm not top priority, but no company should ever hold it against a driver giving a notice. They want you to give a notice, but it hurts the driver in the end.

6. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL

Understand your point, but I let them know a month or more ahead of time, plus regular reminders since they've in the past forgot to enter in the system when I want to be home. I totally understand going out west makes it more difficult, but funny thing is since the weather changed, that's almost all I ever get offered. So, my choice is sit and wait on a east, or do what I did.

7. FL-Trucker

FL-Trucker Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I use Google. .. LOL check a few different 3 day for casts then look at some weather maps.

I was told those back highways this time of year are not allowed without approval.

Stopped today in Ontario on 84. So far so good just some light flurries and rain.

When I did see sunshine. There was a wreck. Driver went into the back of a double potato hauler and off a 300+ drop down into the middle of a field.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    ya i was just explaining for those that might not know, with the holidays and new dispatch it doesnt seem like a good time for many, i woulda waited it out if i had somthin planned like that but then u lose so much u question why ur here, new diapatch during the holidays sure hasnt helped.

9. FL-Trucker

FL-Trucker Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Ya shop asked me why I am out west still and over miles I just laughed......

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    ya also have to remember the new policy with this new dispatch personnel...pass on today's loads, then get bumped to the bottom of tomorrow....home time requested or not...so, it could have been many many days before his number came up. I've been OTR the majority of my career and do you know how many times I have missed Christmas?...... 0 - zip - zero - nada - goose egg.

With as many drivers choosing to leave, I guess Jerry will have his January orientation classes much larger than usual.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  11. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL

I saw that same wreck. Going up hill at that. That driver had a wild ride to the bottom. I'm at the Boise Stage Stop. .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.