Go backward in pay to drive Class 8

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gonzo1300, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Hey guys. I've been on a couple of other threads talking about my license situation. I've been driving Hot Shots for a company for well over 10 years and make good money but they are now going to move to Class 8 trucks. I did not take my CDL test with a truck with air brakes so I would have to retake the entire test again. Which puts me in a bind because I can't say I've been driving class 8 trucks for 10 years I'm basically a new driver paying for school or doing the dreaded sign your life away for a year for no money. Well the more I check I will simply make more money staying in Hot Shot then I would moving up to Class 8 trucks and get a new driver pay for a year or two. I could definitely not go back to that starting pay of .28 to $0.32 a mile stuff I got two kids in college. I was honestly interested in Snyder's lease Choice program but of course it's just like I don't have no driving experience at all because I was not driving class 8 trucks so it's like I'm just getting in the industry. Talk to three different companies Snyder being one of them and they basically said the same thing no you're pretty much going to have to start off at the startING new driver pay. Kind of sucks considering both my dad and both uncle's drove trucks until they retired all three of them within the past 4 years. I really was looking forward to having more available loads from the DAT boards lol. By the time I put weight limit and stuff like that in there 90% of the loads disappear LOL.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
  4. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah there's a question that I was curious about who is Chinatown I have spoke to him a couple times on here but just never knew who he was or what he does. I guess I'm the person that don't get in other people's business lol

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

@Chinatown is the Obi wan Kenobi of the message board.

6. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Ahhh OK then. Well let my Jedi driver training commence

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry, but this makes no sense - "I did not take my CDL test with a truck with air brakes so I would have to retake the entire test again."

Then you said - "Which puts me in a bind because I can't say I've been driving class 8 trucks for 10 years I'm basically a new driver paying for school or doing the dreaded sign your life away for a year for no money."

Then you said - "I was honestly interested in Snyder's lease Choice program but of course it's just like I don't have no driving experience at all because I was not driving class 8 trucks so it's like I'm just getting in the industry."

AND then you said this - "Kind of sucks considering both my dad and both uncle's drove trucks until they retired all three of them within the past 4 years."

SO just to ask, why don't you come to some agreement with the present company to help you with getting the road test out of the way and keep driving for them for a bit to get some experience under your belt?

brian991219, Tb0n3 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You mean, since they’re switching over, why not ask the current boss if he could use their truck to do the test and just stay on with them? You would think that would have been the very first thing that would come to mind... unless there’s a problem between OP and his present employer. If I were an employer, and this guy had been driving with the company for a decade, I would go along with it.

brian991219, Tb0n3, Dan.S and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    New owners for the company. In the second meeting we had they are standing firm on running strictly teams. Which that is all great but I'm naughty teen guy in a truck I guess it's a way to say it. My Grandad would say it's hard to put two bulls in the same pasture.

10. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Long story short with me not driving a Class 8 truck ever I am basically a new driver to the trucking companies. With my old company we leave out make anywhere from 4 to 9 drops with that load delivering car tow dollies. Once you finished your last job whether you be in Canada Texas or wherever we could jump on the load boards and run for about a week and a half to two weeks Max before they would have another load for me ready in the rotation. Truthfully I made more money running off the load boards and a broker that I would use from time to time. With me having to move and continue driving but now drive a Class 8 truck I am considered a new driver with no experience because I have not drove a Class 8 truck. It's all about the money but isn't it always lol.

11. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Chinatown gets a penny for each referral...he's a multi millionaire..:biggrin_2559:

Chinatown, Dan.S and SingingWolf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.