Going back trucking with USA Trucking.

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by rcd127, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I agree, USA is really not so bad. I'm with a smaller company now (and making a way bigger paycheck, too) but there are a couple of things I miss. My truck was brand new when I got it, I liked knowing where I was going whether empty or loaded, and I liked preplans. In fact, preplans were the biggest reason I never needed a GPS while I was there; knowing where I had to be before it was time to leave meant I always had plenty of time to plan my route. With this company I'm with now, I sometimes don't know where I'm supposed to be headed until it's time to go there - that means a lot of "flying blind" in unfamiliar territory and, sometimes, not knowing what I'm driving into. That can be a little nerve-wracking when you're on a tight pickup or delivery schedule.

For all the complaints you hear about USA, you need look no further than this very same forum to hear about companies in the same class that are actually far worse.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Absolutely there are far worse trucking companies out there, and some that are better. I have not been looking at the financials of USA Truck, but what I do see seems to suggest that overall the company is making some money now. I think the largest complaint from ex drivers was the miles. The past president really caused some problems and I think most of those problems was he did NOT have enough experience to run USA Truck and proceeded to run the company into the ground. As far as some of the other complaints go I would not let most of them keep me from checking out what USA Truck can offer someone especially a rookie driver with little or no experience. The cost of paying out large cash settlements forces companies to be "mean" especially with regard to the "safety dept." and even then most of the problem drivers at USA Truck are given 2nd and 3rd chances before they are let go. You rookie drivers listen up. Don't be afraid to check out this company. Get on and get the training program finished follow the rules and safety dept. procedure's and run your backside off. Become an asset then at some point in the future you might very well find yourself in a better situation. Oh one more thing don't listen to the other drivers in both the truck stops and terminals when they bad mouth the company. Sometimes these folks have come in tired and stressed then when everything does not suit them they lash out. I've been there I know.

pensive and tech10171968 Thank this.
  4. XFM2013

XFM2013 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    I ran with USA to get my year of experience........knowing what I know now would I do it again? Probably not, however, it's a place to start and you have to get in somewhere. 12 months OTR goes fast, if you have to do the time just do it and move on. While I was there (5 years ago) no e-logs and I ran 2800 miles a week. .25 cpm (I started out at) is a far cry from a livable wage, but it makes you appreciate a good job, should you be fortunate enough to get one. I was lucky and ended up in a GREAT spot.

I watched a lot of drivers along my journey no end up so good..........pay attention and stay focused!

Canned Spam and pensive Thank this.
  5. jerzeyboy74

jerzeyboy74 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2010
    augusta ga
    Mlt003 are you still with usa I would like to see how they are now been talking to a recruiter but we all know how good it sounds compared to what it really is

6. Bosscity318

Bosscity318 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Bossier City
    Hit the road with my trainer Friday. Made a couple of short runs and now we're in Laredo for the night.

7. dinosaurjr

dinosaurjr Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Do they run autos or manuals? And how long is training? Thanks ..

8. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    They have mostly 10 speed manuals but are getting lots of auto Kenworth T-680's. Training has changed since I started in December 2014 but I did 5 weeks straight and went solo from there. It's a certain number of hours behind the wheel plus the trainers opinion of you that matter the most. They keep the trainer in the jump seat for most of the training except the last week when you actually team. I had a good experience and had a good, veteran trainer.

9. dinosaurjr

Jan 17, 2015
    Thank you for replying for fast, I appreciate it. If you don't mind, I have one more question. I was wondering if the USA Truck location in Jacksonville can be used to park the truck during hometime? I currently live in WV but my two adult daughters live in Jacksonville and Orlando and I am looking for a way to visit them occasionally. Thanks again, man.

TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  10. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    looks like we have a dropyard there so yes, you could leave your truck there.

11. dinosaurjr

Jan 17, 2015
    Ok, thanks for your time, take care.

TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.