Good, Bad, and the Ugly about LTL (or your company)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I work for con-way freight

Pro's:

Decent/Well maintained equipment..I get pulled in for a level one almost monthly and I've never had any issues.Maintenance issues are addressed here

pay is decent.

Pulls almost exclusively doubles/triples,rocky mountain doubles. I love pulling em.

One board seniority...thought it sucks when you're at the bottom, at least you can switch from dock to city to hostler to night line-haul or day line-haul if you have the strap and not lose time

Monday to friday linehaul schedules with overflow on weekends.

Non- union. Enough said on that

cons

Get written up for every single thing
    Lots of dock time..i mean boatloads if you have a bid and at the bottom.
    Extraboard bs when you're at the bottom
    Just a number here in the meat grinder

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I work there too and he's about dead on. Biggest positive change here in the last nine years is by far the equipment. Just about every truck here now is 2010 or better and the trailers are getting newer as well.

My biggest complaint is some of the automatic termination things. Some are legit, but a lot of them are mistakes that will happen to people over the years - especially the dock stuff.

The other thing is we run 100% legal. Most, maybe all of the big LTL companies do but it has been strictly enforced at every terminal I've been based out of.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    CenutryClass Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Blah... I got called off again for the second night in the row. Anyone else having a slowdown? We haul mostly industrial supply, and I am guessing construction and home improvement is slowing down.

5. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    It's been slow at my job. Being on the flex board I've just been going in and working the dock. Been luck and getting my 8 every night though.

6. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    you work for conway?

7. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    Yeah, in Northern Indiana.

8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Pros
    Making more money than I was when doing OTR
    Set schedule, no sitting around
    Being paid for EVERYTHING work related, no freebies (only time not paid is the 30 minute lunch break)
    Very small workplace, everyone knows each other, feel like an actual human being again, not just truck number #35570234034
    Excellent terminal manager, helpful coworkers
    No threats of layoffs, we are actually understaffed
    75 mph truck

Cons
    ###### equipment, worst engine in the world (Mercedes Benz)
    Dock gets COOOOOOLD
    Depending on the terminal I go to some of the forklifts can be complete crap
    Shift starts a bit too late for my taste

If my company had better equipment and mantained their terminals like they should it would be an excellent place to work at. Even then, it's not a bad place at all.

9. local driver

local driver Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    SE Michigan
    you said non union. enough said on that. after reading your cons are you sure enough said?

cisco Thanks this.
  10. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Only good thing about that non-union status is the lack of lay offs. Don't mention pay or pension.

11. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    please dont turn this into a u/non u thread. i'm sure there is enough of those on here. Just my opinion.

I think unions are a cancer in the freight world today, especially when you have so many carriers chasing limited freight. They are not able to adapt and change. I see the teamsters thing in your avatar. You do your union thing, and Ill do my non union thing.

I was reading a YRC thread on another board, and tons of you guys are on layoff. That's all Ill say on that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.