Good, Bad, and the Ugly about LTL (or your company)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    you union guys act as if pension and health benefits are a god given right

kuzima93, Marksteven and jakebrake12 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Must be nice. My piece of crap is governed out at 63 MPH. The only trucks I pass are the ones that are broke down on the right shoulder. It is ridiculous.

4. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    and all the conway trucks. i can only do 62 on the flats. any hill, doesnt matter i cant get above 35 loaded or empty. trucks are so neutered its embarrassing. Ive pulled two empties and was beaten up donner by a loaded fedex freight set so dont feel bad.

speed limit in ca is 55 so i can hammer down to 62 and not worry too much.

5. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I work for USF Reddaway which belongs to YRC. We are non-union and I got laid off in November. Still laid off too.

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    So this must be a regional thing. FedEx and Con-Way are the prime suspects that blow my doors off. Sadly enough, even Swift passes me. It is embarrassing for me too. I was pulling an empty rocky set going uphill, and Con-Way easily passed me with triples.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I also work for Reddaway. I think the only reason why they didn't lay me off is cause we can't haul triples in the winter, so they have a few odd trailers that need to be pulled separately. Last week I barely broke 1,000 miles. It is depressing. Might have to cut the dog's food ration if this keeps up. Either that or start folding subs next door at the Pilot Center part time. I love my job, but I am not happy with my miles right now.

8. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    It's not like the Co's gave those benefits to us,we fought for them. There was a time when most every decent job in this country came with fully paid health care and a lot provided Co. paid pension plans. Now a days the CEO's and stockholders want to make kazillions at the expense of the American worker. They and their buddies the politicians have enacted laws that that favor big business at the expense of the American middle class worker.How many big Corp's keep their workers on less than 40hr's just so they do not have to offer them benefits. There should be a law against that in my opinion. Part of the problem with this country is too many people have bought into Corp. Americas propaganda and brain washing. When I owned a small fleet,all my employees got fully paid health ins. The same policy I had. I did that because that's how I believe it should be. Back during the Industrial Revolution,when Co's treated employees like disposables is when they started fighting for better wages and benefits. Once again the Co's did not offer those benefits,people fought for them.

kuzima93, CMate, ClassB and 4 others Thank this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    You make an excellent point. My company doesn't pay all of my health care, and they don't give us pensions. However, they do treat me well, and compensate me fairly for what I do. If you have a good carrier, then you should not need a union. What grinds my gear is when employees are forced into a union wether they like it or not. Choices like those should be given to an employee. Either way, I am happy with where I work. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

10. Deadjester

Deadjester Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Indiana
    I agree with you for the most part Roadrunner, however, it also grinds my gear that people come to my UNION company, then ##### about having to join the union. We are union, if you want to work here and enjoy the pay and benefits our union has negotiated on our behalf, then yes...you SHOULD have to join. I'm not by any means one of those foot stomping hardcore angry union guys, but i enjoy what i have and what we accomplished being union as far as benefits and wage. If someone doesn't want to be a part of the union there's plenty of non union carriers out there, just don't come into my company without expecting to join.

joewsef, CMate and local driver Thank this.
  11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Hey Roadrunner, Reddaway doesn't pay our benefits anymore? Before I got laid off they paid for our benefits. We didn't get a pension like our YRC parent company but they paid our benefits for the whole family. Well in southern Cali anyway. I hope they didn't cut that, even though I'm sure they will someday. Your miles will pick up again around March as long as the economy picks back up.

road_runner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.