Got a speeding ticket on my way home from orientaiton

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by opossumplane, Feb 16, 2023.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Which truck stop diner did you hear this from?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. opossumplane

opossumplane Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2023
    I can't remember the exact route, it was my first time ever going that way but yes I'm 100 percent aware that speed needs to come down to the limit before approaching the sign. It was a downhill route and after 7 plus hours of going 80 mph (legally) I just didn't slam on my brakes the moment I saw that sign, knowing I should have now. I felt like I was out in the boondocks and was surprised there was anyone else around especially a trooper. But the way communist California is set up, I should have known. I take full responsibly and I learned my lesson.

Siinman, bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. opossumplane

opossumplane Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2023
    I do plan on reporting to my employer however, ONLY if I'm convicted. Which would be the worst case scenario and which is why I'm fighting it so there doesn't need to be a conviction on my record thus nothing to report to employer. My hiring/training company doesn't have a policy to report violation dates only convictions. They don't need to know more than what's legally required.

Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s right. It’s not a ticket till convicted. Get a Lawyer, probably get reduced. Be ready to pay hundreds. Well worth it. You’re not the first to make a mistake. Don’t let it get you down. Not the end of the world.

Siinman, opossumplane and bzinger Thank this.
  6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    It's true. 04 for a cdl holder even in your private vehicle

7. HopperHauler

HopperHauler Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 22, 2011
    North Dakota
    No, it's not.

opossumplane and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There are some people wanting to lower that to.04. I also don't know if this is universal in all 48 states. In Georgia, if you cause an accident you can be charged with a .04. Just blowing a .04 is not a DUI in most places. Beware though, that .04 might get you in trouble if you are operating a CMV.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    opossumplane Thanks this.
  9. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Well in Illinois it's. 04 I figured the whole country was the same

Attached Files:

opossumplane, Speedy356 and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Here is the rest of that website.
    First, it is important to understand that the legal limit for CDL holders in Illinois is a blood alcohol content of at least .04 percent, rather than .08 percent for the average citizen. Furthermore, if a commercial driver is arrested for a DUI while operating his/her personal vehicle with a BAC above .08 percent, then a conviction can affect their CDL status. Any presence of marijuana or methamphetamine in a CDL holder’s bloodstream will lead to license repercussions, whether the driver is operating a commercial or non-commercial vehicle.

opossumplane, Magoo1968 and slim shady Thank this.
  11. HopperHauler

HopperHauler Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 22, 2011
    North Dakota
    I don't know how many states have a similar law to Illinois, but in North Dakota CDL holders are good to .08 in non-commercial vehicles, same as the federal law.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.