Got accepted, might drink the kool aid. Trainers in Berks county pa?

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Carlnix30, Aug 18, 2013.

1. riverrat143

riverrat143 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Brodhead, Wisconsin
    With the new HOS changes that are now in place (2 consecutive 1:am to 5:am off duty or sleeper berth), TMC pushes to get you home but you need to get the job done as well to get there. If your getting home Saturday morning and leaving out Sunday afternoon, your not getting a 34 and you will be re-capping all week and this is stressful. Your trainer will explain it all and get you used to it. TMC can set up the loads to get you home, but its up to you to get the job done to get yourself there.

Goo luck!

indianaEMT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. machineman4223

machineman4223 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Nashville TN
    Percentage is the only way. If not your leaving money on the table. Our Qualcomms have NaviGo. It works pretty good. Myself I have a PC Miler. I love it but it is still just a tool never can replace a good map book and common sense. Mine does a 50 mph average which is a good ideal of when you will actually be there. After you stop and use the bathroom and get fuel and stuff like that you end up averaging rite about 50mph for the day.

4. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I am being told that I can pretty much rely on my FM and trainer for the first year. Is this true?

I just listened to a presentation from another recruiter! It's amazing how competitive they can be. I heard about the tarps and how nasty and heavy they are. I heard how miserable I am going to be this winter. Cold and wet hands numb.. Back aching. That tells me I am working! So yaaay!

thank you for that! I am capable of reading a map but I really like that nice voice telling me I have 1/2 mile to my next exit! It's probably going to screw me a couple times!

5. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Update!!

Today was a little frustrating! I was in the yard all day straight backing and paralleling! Okay enough is enough! I have already driven! I want to practice my shifting.. Others in the class have not figured out the left right right push follow procedure for parallel parking! So since they can't do it they have to practice! That leaves me and two other guys in the yard waiting for them to catch up! Tomorrow we are promised industrial park! clutch neutral clutch shift.. Clutch neutral reeeeev clutch shift!! Okay okay I got it!!!

Thank you guys for your support I feel that I have made the right decision to drive for TMC.

milskired and indianaEMT Thank this.
  6. machineman4223

machineman4223 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Nashville TN
    GPS are nice. As long as you just aware of what's around you they work. I always put where I'm going into the GPS and compare it to the map and then also write down my exits and turns on paper. Just a good habit for me.

7. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I sure hope they go over the atlas because its been years since I have driven using anything but GPS! I probably couldn't even get to work without it!! Lol writing down the exits is an excellent idea!! I'm going to use that!! Post it notes! Thank you sir!!

8. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Update..

I will be testing out of my school next week! Going to take a week off hanging with the monsters (thats what i call my kids) and my wife.. Then heading to Des Moines on the weekend of the 8th! I will post here the process in as much detail as I can, the orientation process.

9. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Update...

I have completed my school! Tested out today. My god was I nervous! This examiner was strict! He watched every move I made..(I know he's supposed to) kind of challenging course! I did my third turn through an intersection stopped at the red light and feel a very faint...bump! I look in my mirror and there it was.. A truck was backing out of a parking spot into the street and bumped into the back of the trailer! So my first accident was during my CDL test! Lol the guys tail lights exploded! We were in Philly so guess what!! He drove off real fast! Didn't even have the decency to sweep up his glass! The trailer had a small smudge of red plastic. :biggrin_2559:

I put on my flashers and the examiner went out looked and said this is a first! "Proceed" flashers go off.. Almost run the red light! Okay third gear... Slow off the clutch and get it in fourth... I take another city turn to the left.. (Don't take your CDL test in Philly!) There in front of me is a wide load with chasers.. Okay out if seventh.. Down to sixth.. Splitter splitter splitter.. Fifth... Controlled stop.. He says... Hmm... Dang I forgot the flashers! My test is going south... No not literally.. Metaphorically... Lol they get where they are going.. I have already had an accident.. Now stopped.. I forget my flashers! He says "proceed" hey I haven't been turned back.. Maybe I'm still okay.. Third.. Fourth.. Fifth.. Splitter splitter.. Sixth.. Seventh.. I'm really moving along.. Eight... Weeeee.. 35!!!! Weeee... Mirrors.. Have I been in them enough?.. EeeEek mirror mirror..mirror.. TRAIN!! Eight.. Seventh.. Sixth.. Griiiind.. Griiiind... Eeeek.. Splitter splitter....fifth?.. Fourth?... Cram.. Fifth.. Yaaay!! TRAIN!!!!! controlled stop.. He said.. "Train never crosses here" the train is moving about 1/10 of a mile.. Not really but I am sitting here mortified.. Next to a guy that has not hinted at any emotion what so ever! Train finally gets past.. Probably 2 minutes.. Felt like an hour and a half.. So to pass the time.. I ask him if he's going to put the accident on my DAC. I laughed he looked at me and said "no. Proceed" eeeeek... I finish the course.. Interstate merge.. Speed control.. Exit.. Eight.. Seventh.. Sixth.. "Turn right here" splitter.. Splitter fifth.. Wow.. This exit ends in 30 feet!!! Merge merge.. Shift to sixth...grind.. Grind... Splitter splitter splitter.. Sixth.. Eeeeeeeek!! I return to the yard.. He looks at me.. And says.. "Well... There are a few things you need to work on..." He gives me really great advise! How to improve.. MY GOD!!! CRAP.. I CAN'T TAKE THIS.. I have to go back to my wife as a failure!! Emotions... Control... Must... He then says... Congratulations.. You have passed!!!
    I leave for orientation with TMC next week! Splitter splitter splitter!

Truckie83 Thanks this.
  10. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Alright!! I leave for orientation tomorrow..:biggrin_2552:

so can anyone tell me what I should NOT bring with me? Also what are some good off the wall things I can't live without when or if I get on a trainers truck?

11. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Update!!

So it turned out there was a new TMC driver that had just finished with his trainer and was heading out to Des Moines in a rental car, to test out and get assigned his own Pete! So he was from my area and I had the opportunity to drive with him. The drive was 16 long nonstop hours! Much better than riding 36 hours on a bus! Thank you TMC!!

the first day here was not as long as I feared! We left from the hotel at 0700 sharp! (Yes if you miss the bus pack it up, your going home!) arrived ta the training center around 0730. We had the great opportunity to meet George (our class instructor) knowledgable, to the point but really hilarious! We got our assigned employee number and our paper work for the physical. They were so organized and professional! There were stations set up for each phase of the physical. ( blood pressure, urine test, eyes and doctor) it took no time at all (or so it seemed). We were the. Informed that TMC has applied for a federal background check. So don't come here thinking you can hide something!

We were sent out to the yard and there it was! The famous tarp and steel coil! We were given Instruction about the proper technic and we were sent to it! It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! If you follow their advise you don't even breath hard! We were sent back to class and the phone in the class rings!!! One was sent out.. He came back grabbed his belongings.. He was gone! A little later.. The phone rings in the class... Another one gone! WOW I dont like that phone! That phone rings.. And your name is called.. Just get your stuff so that you don't have to go back in!! Now when that phone rings everyone just stiffens including me!

More in a bit I gotta call my honey to tell her I'm still here! :)

48Packard and milskired Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.