Got to put a gladhand seal on it.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TommyTrucker88, Jan 10, 2018.

1. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    All ya'll are too quick to blame the Mexicans (or some other bogey man) for stealing gladhand seals etc.

Methinks this is actually a theft deterrence response.

Remove the seals, so the "thief" (may be an American after-all) does not steal the trailer. Heck, remove all items (lights/tags/landing crank) to make it harder for an undesirables to do their bad deeds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vinsanity0

vinsanity0 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    It's not that easy to steal a trailer out of a company terminal.

USX always checked all the lights, tires, etc when a trailer came into Laredo. They kept a bucket of seals on the counter by the dispatch window.

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Most of the big boys run trailer inspections before both going south over the boarder and returning north just because this sort of thing happens all the time. Seals, lights, tires, doors, landing gear handles, ...... they all get stolen if you let them.

5. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    Good ol Messican deek rings...

bottomdumpin and slim shady Thank this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I don't trust those shifty Canadians either.

nax Thanks this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When I was at Swift I picked up broken/busted/discarded glad hand seals off the ground and swapped them into trailers and took the good ones for myself. Had a big zip lock baggie full of good glad hand seals.

8. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Why? You can go into any shop and get a handful of new seals anytime, no charge. Same with fuses.

Grubby Thanks this.
  9. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    You guys all got my mind thinking and made some good points.
    I'm starting to think it's not the Mexican drivers taking them but maybe the company themselves.
    Hear me out. I never put two together or checked but I will from now on. The trailer I had most recently I found out had to get some repairs done at the shop before it was cleared for me to take. So i left it and asked for a new load.
    I think what might be happening here is the company taking them off so the drivers dont move the trailers from the lot and have to park it right back.
    I usually get the paperwork first and if it needs repairs they won't give me the paperwork untill the shop clears the repairs on the computer.
    I will be checking on this if I run into more trailers without seals and see if it adds up.

10. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    The last time I was in Laredo i wish all they took was glad hand seals . This what they took off the brand new trailer I was picking up . 155.JPG 154.JPG yep all 4 outside tires gone !!!

11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.