Gps app free? What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by dieselpowered, Apr 16, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I used copilot.

When in California though, Google along side as I got close as it was more precise for the front door.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I miss having the three options that CoPilot provided... the RM will give two but one is good and the other one is just crazy most of the time... like is that honestly even an option???

4. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Theres another free app called trucker map. It is free. Dont give 3 routes though.

5. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Based on what I have heard Rand McNally makes the better GPS I was looking into there tablets I would like a tablet so I can use it for not just a GPS also as a tablet like Netflix perhaps or youtube, How do you people use the internet with one Verizon hotspot or?

6. dieselpowered

May 16, 2016
    ya just made a post waiting on a reply though its on another topic I made asking free figured maybe I need invest in a good GPS but would like a tablet features

7. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Those rand tablets have 2001 specs. Ain't worth the money. Rand GPS software is basically here maps. You can get a top of the line tablet and load a program on it and it will be just as good if not better.

Smart truck route 2
    Copilot
    Igo Navigation and genius maps both have truck routing from here maps. Both cost around 100$ for it. Same map software rand uses.

The tablet on your own will be better quality and way snappier. I had rand and Garmin and they both suck.

I once used that smart truck route 2. It's good once you set it up and learn it. Support is top notch and fix issues immediately. Haha try getting rand to do that.

Also your own tablet you can run Google maps and smart truck route 2 at the same time. Basiclly 2 GPS on 1 screen.

Lux Prometheus and Intothesunset Thank this.
  8. dieselpowered

May 16, 2016
    well too late purchased one and no refunds allowed dont they update the map? on Rand McNally? says free updates purchased the Rand McNally TND tablet at a Loves, I needed something for truck asap wanted something that I could have a good map and use google chrome and maybe Netflix and youtube. and a few other apps but maybe should have purchased a tablet and done as you suggest.

Lux Prometheus and Intothesunset Thank this.
  9. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I will never waste my money on a GPS for trucks again. I had the 730 Rand and paid almost $400 2 years later will not let me put address location in at all.
    It sits collecting dust. And the batteries do not last long either, which cause issues.
    Another point mentioned is processors and speed of GPS units is garbage.

I want the best truck app money can buy, and put it on a tablet with way more ram. And not need data to work.

And still be dollars ahead.

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  10. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Does it display them automatically or do you have to program your Garmin to display them?

11. WinchBarHero

WinchBarHero Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Id recommend Smart Truck Route. Its an excellent GPS for commercial vehicles thats based on google maps, and the graphics are great, shows you all the truck stops, etc. Although I prefer the android version over the apple version. Costs about $50 a year, its a subscription service which is nice as you dont have to deal with the hardware issues you find on traditional truck gps units.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.