GPS Signal Interference

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by GearJammer0224, Aug 27, 2017.

1. GearJammer0224

GearJammer0224 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Alright, guys and gals. A question for you CB wizards out there. Purchased a new CB and mirror mounted antenna for the truck, as we all know these internal factory antennas on the Cascadias are about worthless. The day after I installed everything I started getting a No GPS Signal on my Rand McNally GPS. It would freeze up for awhile and then reaquire the signal. Did this regularly throughout the day. Thought maybe the GPS was taking a dump so I bought a new one.

Same model GPS as the old one, and after putting it on the windshield, it started doing the same thing. Started thinking it could be the coax I installed so I switched my CB back to the factory installed coax.

Am I looking at a coax issue or an antenna ground issue here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I would suspect more a ground issue. The GPS antenna on the 730 is on the top. I suspect you have spurious RF floating around.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    wow ...RF floating caused GPS receiving problems. as far as I know many US tactical cruise missiles are using GPS to hit targets. GearJammer try to sell your new purchased CB to senator McCain or Pentagon's researchers. :)

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    The TND is not a guided missile. It is not hardened against EMF... so let's try to keep this real.

I have seen wiring harnesses with the Collision Avoidance system, Tire Monitoring systems, Dash Cams, RF Transmitters (kind to hook a device to your radio), CB mounting all interfere with a GPS device. 99.999% of the time it is grounding on the other device.

GearJammer0224 Thanks this.
  6. GearJammer0224

GearJammer0224 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    It's not unheard of, man. But, you know, a feeble mind will make a feeble response.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  8. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Is anything close to the GPS? Move all non GPS wires away and provide 6" of clearance from other electronics.

If my Bluetooth earpiece is charging and gets within 3" of my GPS it will lose the signal until I move it farther away.

TA

mhyn Thanks this.
  9. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    mhyn Thanks this.
  10. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    A couple of nights ago around 3am from the west side of El Paso (I-10 & Loop 375) to the east side (I-10 & Loop 375), I had no gps signal. Signal came back just as I passed the loop. Then somewhere between El.Paso and the Border Patrol check point, gps had no signal for a couple of minutes. No clue what cause it, but it was weird. Hasn't done it since.

20170904_132757.jpg

11. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    I've been experiencing loss of GPS a lot lately. Nothing really changed in my truck. I'll watch the GPS diagnostic screen and have 0 signal from any satellite. Sometimes for an hour and miles. Then randomly I'll have them all again almost full strength and 8 foot accuracy. No clue what's causing it. I've had it in its current position for a while now and this is a issue.

MachoCyclone Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.