1. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Pay no attention to the horror stories about people getting stuck in alleys or driving down boat ramps. A GPS is a great tool too have and when used properly will make you a more efficient driver.

I wouldn't recommend mine even though it works great for me. I have an old Garmin Nuvi 200 that I've had for years and last updated in 2009.

SHC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yes, a GPS is just that, a tool. You should never follow it as if it were the end-all-be all of routing. Common sense and planning our route is what makes it work good. I mainly use it for the time/mileage distance, state by state reporting and I like knowing the name of a street before I get to it and then can't turn around cuz I passed it up. I NEVER follow its exact directions and the majority of the time I have to put in routing points for it to take me where I really want to go.

silver dollar Thanks this.
  4. ukdon

ukdon Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I agree. I have the TND from Rand McNalley. Great tool, but not perfect. I generally plan my route using atlas, google maps and the satellite view then put in my way points as a multipoint trip. Just another tool to make the job easier and safer.

SHC Thanks this.
  5. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I have a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT which is truck specific and has lifetime map updates included. I don't follow it blindly. But I do trust it every bit as much as I would any truckers atlas. I use it every day and wouldn't think of operating a truck without it.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    If I could I would take a hammer and smash my co-driver's Rand McNally. He thinks it's God and it gets him in all kinds of trouble.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know about now, but Peterbilt use to put the I-way 650C in dash from the factory. They are made by Lorance, the same company that makes marine navigation and avionics. For some reason they are discontinued. Probably because of the price. But I never seen a better GPS. I see portable models for sale on ebay and such.

The one thing I like is it has Google earth on it. You can scope out buildings and parking lots.

Look down in Electronics forum or use the forum search. There's a bunch of good threads on GPS's.

8. hesgoneagain

hesgoneagain Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Denton, North Carolina
    We have a TND710. Love it. But it is just a tool. Always look at the Atlas 1st before following it blindly. Really like the "quick stop" feature to find specific truck stops. Also nice that you can change it when in a car for car route. 7" screen so easy to see.FREE Lifetime updates is a real plus.

9. poorboy126

poorboy126 Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Southwest Florida
    I just wish someone that knows how to would put up a simple poll in a new thread letting everyone vote for their favorite GPS unit. I don't know how to do it or I would, it needs to list every Truck GPS available and even some of the older ones and maybe even the most popular car GPS's and everyone simple votes for one of the given chooses only. That should answer everyones questions if enough guys participate and not just give some bs line about using the search option and reading hundreds of pages. I hope someone runs with this.

10. housecat

housecat Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Flat Rock, MI
    I would like the DEZL in a 7 inch version! Once they do that, I am boxing up my Rand for a secondary unit. Sending it in and waiting for another is a pain!

Does anyone know if Garmin will be making a 7 inch GPS anytime soon?

11. poorboy126

poorboy126 Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Southwest Florida
    If you read the Rand Mcnally TND help thread and all the horror stories on their it makes you not want to get one. I was all ready to go out and get a TND 710 but I think I'll just use my smartphones google maps and nav and my Rand Mcnally Large Scale Atlas from 2007. Rand should come out with a 2013 Deluxe Large Print Atlas, I use the hell out of that 07 map, hint hint Mark.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.