Guess I need to give up my dream of getting my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Evergreenapple, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've only had a CDL for 25 years so I don't pretend to know everything about the industry. I only check Craigslist a few times per week, so I am missing some data. I don't see any companies advertising for manual drivers. Most companies outside heavy haul and oversize are already replacing trucks with auto trucks. You have to search for manual jobs. Nobody is going to hire a newby for some niche company that pay a lot, hires newbies, demands they throw the stick.

If your goal is local work, you will be driving auto. You do not have to do OTR before you do local. Years ago local companies only hired former OTR drivers. Not any more. IMO, you might as well demand a particular AM/FM radio in your truck. It's easy for vets to convince manual shifting is the vital skill that separates real drivers from wannabes. That's out of date and getting more so daily. 80% of companies replace trucks before they have 750k miles.

I still think the manual bogeyman is often used as an excuse to do nothing. Cdl schools teach morons to shift in a few minutes and they get about 30 minutes of practice before their test. It's nice to have, it's no big deal if you have it or not. Tons of non-mega companies are hiring auto only drivers, but those companies are not on the first page of Google results so newbies have no idea they exist.

TravR1, Dan.S and SteerTire Thank this.
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

5. - There isn't a good chain gang.
    6.There ain't No good in a evil hearted woman

Waylon, Willie, and Johnny told me so.

Quit. Nobody will know but you.

I herd that in a movie once. It inspired someone to go kill 50 russians, save 3 beautiful women, saved the world, killed the bad guy, etc etc.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Cat backwards is taco minus the o. Just saying.

IluvCATS and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. 1qwkgoat

1qwkgoat Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I studied took my written tests/endorsements, got my permit. Then I called around, a company in the same town as my closest CDL test site, rented trucks for the sole purpose of testing. They had a day cab synchro 6 speed single axle fl70 and 30ft trailer. For $380 I came up the day before my test and myself and several others practiced the backing exorcises with the owner. The next day the truck was at the test center and several of us tested in it. I did this aug 2017, below is a link to their site. Surely you could find something like this in your area
    I left that day with a CDL A no restrictions, tanker, doubles triples endorsement(written tests)
    Home | Tulsa CDL Truck Rental

tscottme, Dan.S, dwells40 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Or the dream is just a dream until they get a taste of the reality.And just how is he going to raise a child when he's babysitting a truck120hrs a week.

7. Mizlive

Mizlive Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2018
    A lot of companies offer paid training through private schools

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think what the OP is trying to say is they don't want a CDL with restrictions. I can dig it. If I were a greenhorn just coming into the job I would not want one either. Stick to your guns OP. Just understand that in doing so you might be lengthening your time till you get those paychecks. Honestly, a paycheck don't care if your in a manual or an auto shift.

Dan.S and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Not shut down, but moved to trucker rants maybe?

spindrift Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.