Halvor Lines, Superior, WI: No longer worth it

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by snowbegone, Jun 26, 2009.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    You don't have to do a washout after every reefer load. 9 times out of ten it can be swept out, although it is more tedious and time consuming than sweeping a van because of the ribbed floor. It's a pain when broken pieces of pallet get ground into the floor.

Some loads you really have no choice but to do a washout, like fresh sweet corn or bulk potatoes. Or anything that uses top ice. Or if you have a pallet of meat that leaks or breaks and gets leaves blood.

Need4Speed and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I disagree with that. I did reefer work for 2 years and 9 times out of 10 it HAD to get a washout. One onion peel of corn leaf on the floor or anything that looked suspicious would cause the trailer to be rejected and that is a big headache.

The only time I got away with it was if we did a dry beverage load like water. Simply sweep it out and you are ok.

If you are going to chicken places they are very strict and you need it washed out and disinfected and actually they ask for the paper saying that you did it. Been through that many times.

Reefer work is tough. I wouldnt want to do it again.

Trucker61016 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  4. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Well I've done reefer work over 10 years, and I'm telling you 9 times out of 10 I don't need a washout.

And a lot of times when I did do one on the road the rest of the truck got washed along with it.

I always make it a point to keep my trailer reasonably clean, but washing after every load is overkill and a waste of time and money.

There is always that one shipper once in a while that is finnicky about a completely spotless trailer...a lot of times they will make you do a washout at their facility...simply to make themselves money and cover their own rear end.

Trucker61016 and bzinger Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Depending on what’s being loaded usually 70 percent of the time I get the trailer washed out. A couple of places I’ve been to both the tractor AND the trailer had to be washed and the trailer washed out because I was picking up a load of eggs at egg farms (and there were major concerns about salmonella and listeria). You had to show a receipt proving the tractor trailer was washed and the trailer washed out,no getting around it.

Trucker61016 and bzinger Thank this.
  6. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I did one of those egg loads too. Like you said tractor and trailer had to be washed out and the papers shown at the shipper. Broker paid for everything it was just really time consuming.

Most meat and chicken places you have to show washout papers too. I dont know where this other guy gets info that 9 out 10 times he doesnt need a washout.

Oh well....onto my growing ignore list he goes...

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  7. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Yup, you and all the other members I've encountered on here that don't "like" me.

I still stand by my statement that 9 times out of 10 I don't need a washout after a delivery. 80 percent of what I haul is chicken or fresh produce to and from the Southeast or Southwest. Outside of those rare "finnicky" places you and I both mentioned, most forklift drivers are in such a hurry that unless your trailer is obnoxiously stinky or nasty, they won't bat an eye at a few chunk's of pallet wood or paper scraps.

I also have done a few of those egg loads. 4 different shippers. Only one made me washout, and they had their own trailer wash. Likely they would have made me wash it out no matter how clean I brought it to them.

Washing the tractor as well just to pick up a load? Never heard such an absurd story ... but I guess stranger things have happened. Outside of winter salt for a day or two my truck never rolls nasty for long.

I'm just telling you what my experiences have been in over 10 years of hauling reefers. I did say that yes there is the occasional finnicky shipper that will want you to do washout on site or prove you've done one. From my experience, most of those places have their wash A. To make money and B. To further cover their own tails.

I see the complaint a few comments back about wasting on duty time sitting in line for 4 hours waiting for a trailer wash...I'm willing to bet some of these same drivers think they're too good to grab a broom and a dustpan, and spend a whole 10 to 20 minutes saving themself or their company some time and money and a lot of unnecessary grief.

But never mind me, I've only been pulling reefers for 10+ years and still making good money doing it...even with elogs and a so-called "pandemic".

This thread has gone too far off topic anyway...back to the subject at hand:

Don't work for Halvor lines...just say no to the Stingy Vinjes.

8. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    There is a particular egg farm near I-65 south of Franklin,Indiana that made drivers do just that per the dispatch because of the aforementioned salmonella and listeria concerns. And their location doesn’t do washouts of any kind and they do check the truck and trailer and for a washout receipt. Luckily there’s a Blue Beacon (which my employer has an account with)near Franklin which solves that problem.;)

Lonesome and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  9. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I wouldnt argue with him, just throw him on ignore like I did. Ive got a short fuse with some of these guys on here lately because of their antics.

This used to be a good forum when I joined not so anymore. Too much off topic stuff and wrong information- basically a waste of time coming here.

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    For me it just depends on who loaded the trailer outbound and who's gonna reload it .
    If it was jbs fresh beef or greater omaha washout 100% as the trailer will look like a crime scene.
    Med supply loads never wash out.
    Con agra frozen loads might wash out as the floor will look like a lumber yard .
    Most of my companys shippers are reasonable about it tho.

Trucker61016 and Dale thompson Thank this.
  11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    A couple of medical loads I’ve had to pickup a washout is a must(anyone who has been to Nypro in Devens,MA or Clinton,MA knows what I’m talking about). Medical devices(syringes,tools,etc.) have to be kept in a clean,relatively sterile environment. And any claims on those are substantial.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.