Handling the Cold...HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tman78, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    OK, I found this tool. It will show you in detail how much current you are pulling at the battery for every watt used in the cab. Remember you are not inputing the wattage here just the volts and the amps. If you are using 1000 watts you are using a bit over 9 amps at 110Volts, these would be the numbers you put in the boxes at the top. Tool

Alec the trish and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Here is what I did, as I figured this was going to be a dam cold winter, and unfortunately I was correct... I started this in October, took the entire month off and went through the ENTIRE truck, $4,000 in parts and my labor. If it looked iffy, or was at the end of its life cycle per the OEM, it was replaced or repaired. The only thing that was not touched was the Fan Clutch and Air Dryer, but it did get new cartridge/filter. Truck is running great, knock on wood. Tri-Pac runs keeping the block warm and batteries charged. I leave the bunk heater set to 60* when I am not in the truck. I serviced the truck just before this cold snap hit, washed her twice already, she likes that.

In the cab, I use the bunk heater, set to around 70, have a sleeping bag that I sleep on top of and use a blanket. Very comfy. And it is nice to start the truck when it is -10 outside and I have heat in a matter of minutes blowing out of the vents. I'm having a new Tri-Pac installed next week, my old one, 11 years old, is long in the tooth and is leaking coolant from some unknown place inside of the case... Driving me nuts. New AGM batteries going in in a few weeks too.

Keep up on the maintenance folks, and she will treat you right. Knock on wood. ;-)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

On a self contained setup like that I am sure you are fine. Just be careful to make sure you have a good tight grip on the battery posts.

5. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Lol yeah of course but doing it with real food is a lot harder.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I would love to see that written on a church reader board. I'd take a 34 right there and get baptized.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    So it's more rumors. Good to know. Go spread misinformation somewhere else.

8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Like my mom use to say, “If ya wanna fight, go outside.”

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  9. blazer1

blazer1 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    so. jersey
    100_4163.JPG I found this out by accident. Get your self a moving blanket, which you can get for cheap! Put it down first, then pile your layers on top of it (sleeping bag, mattress, etc). Some measure 72" x 80" or bigger so you can fold it in half if you want. No cold air is getting by this blanket.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Do not feed this troll. You can be 100% right but this guy will split hairs and argue til you either agree or give up, that you are only 99.999999% right and he has the last word.

11. Katbirdmine

Katbirdmine Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Blue Grass, Ia
    I thank you for that link! is there a way to "sticky" that as a resource?

On another note- or back to the topic at hand - there is nothing better than a warm body to snuggle up with. Although it would have to have a compatible person to go with!!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.