Handling the Cold...HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tman78, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    True that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The weather plays hell with me. The boss insisted the fuel is pretreated. On only one occasion did he have the shop put some 911 in the tank. The truck gets plugged in every night but when it's almost 20 below out it doesn't matter. The truck runs like garbage for half an hour. This means I have to get to work much earlier then normal. I don't get compensated for it either, my pay is fixed.

Get to the farm at my first pickup on the tanker, I have frozen valves, frozen pumps ect ect. Spray everything with scalding hot water to make it all work again. In short order this makes an icy mess but what are you going to do. The copious amounts of salt put on the road does nothing either, slow going.

To make everything even more interesting the two compartment trailers have a pipe that feeds the front compartment. This pipe has problems freezing, my job is usually two drop and hooks per day. I load two trailers. This means the load sits overnight waiting to be delivered. I had to use single compartment trailers several days. This means severe surge and weight transfer. I have a farm that's on a steep hill, I had to go around to the other side of the street where it isn't so steep. With a single compartment trailer, the product moves to the back and this means your drive tires can loose traction.

The extreme cold sucks. The only thing I can say is I expect to start early, finish later, and not get additional pay.

I'm so glad it warmed up a little.

In case anyone be is wondering I'm a local route milk truck driver, class A

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    No, nothing a non admin can do. I have added it to my browser favs. Its really just a quick way to look at the things to take into consideration wire size wise when installing an inverter. Thankfully most companies have their new tractors coming with these inverters factory installed, or a 3rd party has done it before delivery. This has cut down on the problems associated with people self installing them and doing so improperly. I have been looking around on the internet over the past 2 days and have not seen many new articles on fire problems arising out of improper inverter installations, but about 5 to 7 years ago it was such a problem that most of the mega carriers prohibited a driver from self installing one. This seems to back up this hypothesis. However they do still happen from time to time.

I am very sensitive to the dangers arising out of truck fires for whatever reason. My father was a trucker as was most of my uncles and a lot of our family friends. A great friend of my fathers and somebody I really looked up to died in his sleeper from a truck fire near Chicago in 1968. The cause turned out to be a defective new starter that somehow shorted out and caused a fire. I have also seen bad reefer fires too. I saw a Tyson food truck on I-40 coming out of Little Rock going east burning because of the reefer. Fire is an ever present danger in these type vehicles. People that DO NOT know what they are doing should NOT be messing with these electrical systems.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Just because someone says something you don't like or asks for evidence didn't make a troll. Educate yourself

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I wasn't talking about you, I meant that other guy. He has an obsession with being dominantly right, splitting hairs so fine they cannot be seen under a microscope.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Oh, I apologize.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Long John's
    Sleeping bag
    Tripac Apu heats the coolant for easier starts.
    I stay below I 40:biggrin_25525:

9. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I ubscibe to survival interests on instagram.

I keep a knapsack in my truck full of fire starting supplies, survival blankets, folding hand saw to cut firewood, extra food and water in truck, -20 degree sleeping bag and 3 wool blankets and long johns, winter down pqrka with a winter vest under it and a insulated balaclava, insulated winter hat with the rabbit ears that fold down and cover your ears, as well as winter gloves, pairs, one for work and getting dity and one pair for if im stranded.

I work for poly trucking so i know my truck will break down often. In fact i’m in a hotel in cookeville, tn right now waiting for a week now and told it may be 4 more days before the international dealer can get ahold of a egr cooler. I guess they either never heard of fedex or they’re trying to save a fedex charge and are too stupid to know the hotel bill will far exceed the fdex dharge.

Always plan for the worst. You could break down anywhere anytime.

I plan in case my truck runs off the road and down an embankment and i’ll break both legs and won’t be found until highway workers find me while picking up trash along the highway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.