Has Google gotten into the truck GPS business yet?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Co-Pilot has live, active traffic 100 miles ahead and draws it's info from Google maps.

Farmerbob1 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll have to check it out, also. thanks.

4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I just mount my Verizon Tablet to my dash and use Google maps.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Same. I use RM and QC for truck route and also have google maps going to the destination with car route. Almost every time it's the same route, so I get realtime traffic. When the route on Google maps shows some kind of crazy on the big road I'll reroute using RM to see if the alternative google gives is also a truck route. If not.. that part can suck.

tow614 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  6. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    I run Co-pilot on my Verizon tablet on the dash... Can't complain to much about it, it's traffic is pretty accurate.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    What I'm hoping to find is an app or device for truck routing that tethers or otherwise accesses the internet, and uses that connection to send the movement data of everyone with the device to a central location, and then tracks that data.

If Google would do this, it would be even better. As it is, Google frequently gets stupid about roads which are closed.

What I described could also detect deviations from a chosen path, and that could flag a closed road or detour.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Which model of RM? If the x20 and higher it uses Internet based Traffic from Inrix. RM does not control what Inrix puts out. If the traffic is not current or correct then please let me know.

Again, in the start up screen you will notice that Inrix is the source for Traffic. This is shown in the preferences/General/Contact & About.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Now Google does see street view, but they do not have the information contained in the map data base that will provide truck GPS routing. There is a lot that goes into the Map database than simply a road and direction.

10. Blane66

Blane66 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Copilot truck

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    I have a Dezl as well. It constantly updates traffic and asks if i wat to be re-routed. Granted, I've been using it in my pickup, however, I run it in truck mode not car. Very happy with it.
    I start driving my own rig next week. The Dezl should be a great tool. I may run google maps on my tablet out of curiosity. Will report back.

Farmerbob1 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.