Has Google gotten into the truck GPS business yet?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I use an app on my phone called SmartTruckRoute. It costs like $100 for a 3 year subscription and is powered by Google Maps with pretty good truck specific routing. They also allow you to try it for free for about an hour or 2 each day at specific times before you purchase it so you can see if you want it or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Have you been happy with the app?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Swaggerjacker asked if you like the app. If you do, did you like it enough to buy it?

5. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I've been using it for the last 2 years, yes I bought it, yes I like it and will renew the subscription next year. The routing doesn't change for traffic I don't believe, but it will show you traffic if you turn it on. I don't use that aspect of the GPS, but I like the fact it allows me to run it in satellite image and I can see what everything actually looks like. It's not perfect, it has it's occasional issues like any GPS, but in my experience they are far fewer and longer in between.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Actually it’s traffic is from inrix. Inrix has a dedicated app in the App Store and play store

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY

I used to run Copilot on my Tab, I love the app in general BUT here is the MAJOR problem - Copilot for Android Dose NOT use GOOGLE MAPS it uses some odd mapping system and the routes it comes up at times are way off base. This was the ONLY Reason i stopped using Copilot and bought a RM 740 with Live Traffic.
    NOW with the RM the routes are great ( 98% of the time) but the Traffic SUCKS!!!
    So now i have my 740 on the dash for my main routes and i run Google Drive on my tablet.
    this will watch for traffic and offer me routing suggestions as needed. then i just have to figure out if i can use the suggestion or not.

What i fail to understand is WHY can't RM or Copilot use the Google maps for its info rather than using another, apparently inferior mapping system??
    Google already has the mapping covered, traffic covered, why are they trying to reinvent the wheel? Google has it perfect, just use theirs??
    NOW if anyone knows of a GPS App or Stand alone that use Google Maps / Traffic PLEASE TELL ME - I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE

8. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Smart truck route uses google maps.

9. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY

> OH I didn't realize that one did. I did try Smart Truck, for about 4 days. I didn't like the way the info was displayed at all and it went through Data like my kids go through soda. I also didn't see anything about traffic with it, but i was using the trail version so maybe thats why?

From what i have seen out there so far.
    Take Copilot, use Google maps for traffic and mapping, Copilot for the interface, RM for the packaging and self contained and have Google market it. Bang - we have a winner.
    I like having a separate device running my GPS so my other stuff is free to run.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You won’t get “updated satellite images” very often. Best a secondary provider can hope to offer (affordably) is maybe every 2-3 years. Google is the best widely adopted platform if you want the most current sat images, free

G13Tomcat and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Smart truck uses Google map as its base, so when Google updates, so does Smart Truck. And in some cases i have seen Google update twice in a year. depends on the area and how many send in the complaint

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.