Has Google gotten into the truck GPS business yet?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We are forgetting that the GIS data, the accident reports, the road closures, etc. are all inputted by humans, or perhaps, software created by humans.

And humans have motives, or biased bosses, stupid bosses, etc.

For example, Robert Moses, the designer of New York City’s roadways, freeways, parkways, etc. DELIBERATELY made low overpasses on the parkways, to restrict access to the beaches etc. to those (white) folks with automobiles. If the plan was to charter a bus and take a load of “other people” to the beach, well, the bus won’t fit the overpasses.

Let’s say you are a young, ambitious programmer with your sights set on Sandhill Road (Silicone Valley). Why get acquainted with the roads of Indiana? Wouldn’t it be better to be on the team coding and maintaining the code for California? Indiana has corn, meh. But California, now THAT’S where you want to know the roads, so you won’t get lost on a Saturday afternoon, in your McClaren, with that swimsuit model as your passenger.

Indiana will have a cruiser broadside across all the lanes, forcing all traffic off the interstate, and the traffic app has nothing to say. Oh, that side road you could have taken? That’s where the Highway Patrol commandant lives, and he WON’T be happy hearing a bunch of trucks on a Sunday morning.

And don’t forget trying to make the best with a reduced workforce, or a reduced budget.

We can’t always blame the dataset.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Waze and Google maps both do a fine job of displaying up to date traffic.

They do it by sharing vehicle movement data to a common pool. If people are averaging 15 mph on an interstate, the apps will indicate a slowdown.

It's not easy to program such things I'm sure, but it wouldn't be terribly difficult compared to routing decisions either.

4. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    I been using Google maps to navigate for 3 months now. Never had an issue and actually perfer it.

5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I only use Google Maps for satellite view of facilities, and traffic/construction/closures.

6. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Until that one time you can a nice $100 ticket for being a restricted road that Google said was fine :)
    Just saying

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    The only thing about the dezl is if you are not double checking it. It will send you around your elbow to get to your butt hole.

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  8. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    I run terminal to terminal only. They have 200+ terminals but I only go to a chunk in same region for most part. I know where the ones I go to are and Google maps works better for me than a dedicated truck GPS. Our terminals are in funny locations some times so truck GPS routes make no sense some times. Google tells you to get off but you shouldn't then just pass by and next route works. I wouldn't hesitate to use g maps as a road driver either. I haven't had any issues.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Towns aren't always clever about where they put their restricted road signs.

I once had to get some PA police to stop traffic for me to back up after I turned onto a road that was a straight shot to my final. 500 feet down the road there was a 10-ton bridge restriction sign. The sign was completely invisible from the main road.

10. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I dream of google putting out a “google truck map and routing”. They have the data they just need to query it for 13’6 x 8’6 x 80,000.

At any given time I’ve got 2 or 3 apps running and my McNally book.

I used a 740 for a week. Yup. I’m good without it. I used smart truck route. Yup it sent me to wrong places constantly.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Google was good. Once upon a time.

It's not as great as it used to be though. You have a 50/50 shot of traffic being accurate. And it has no idea on fastest routes anymore. A lot of times. It picks construction zones.

I run the same haul. Twice a day.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.