Hauling Recreational Vehicles

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ddvestalny, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ddvestalny

ddvestalny Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2017
    On average would it pay to get a 1 ton p/u and haul recreational vehicles up and down the east coast

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    If you are serious, (which I doubt,) you are going to need to do some deep research on this. Things like profit/loss what is your time worth how much you have to pay for your truck how much they pay for hauling the trailer...insurance permits the list goes on and on and on.
    FWIW, I briefly looked into this, from an ad I had seen in Trailer Life Magazine. It just didn't look good to me. And that was back in about 2000.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Bout half of what it costs you.

samcperez, mud23609 and ChaoSS Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've seen ads for that, I would have a hard time justifying it if I were already going that way in my own pickup.

6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I investigated it years ago...looks like a good gig for those that are retired and want to get financial contribution for their travels. The lack of back hauls is what takes the profit out of "fun and profit". BTW, no sleeping in the unit you are delivering so add hotels to your cost of doing business.

lastone in Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There are a few down in the expediter and hot shot forum that can answer this question, maybe the thread needs to be moved there?

d o g Thanks this.
  8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yeah not being able to get a return loads causes this to be a losing proposition. Yesterday I was actually talking to a Company out of Indian about this. They had called me to see if I'd be interested in helping to move RV's out west. I had a long discussion about it basically saying, if, and only if we could load them on top of our low profile trailers. I told them I'd have no problem modifying our trailers to make loading and unloading a safe process. They seemed very interested in what I was saying and said they'd be Getting back with me.

Here's the deal, there's not to many people out there these days willing to buy a new, or late model pickup for $50k/$70k and run it to death for what averages out to approximately $0.70 per mile on a round trip. Sure they'll always need guys to drag fifth wheel rv's behind their pickups but at the current rate per mile they're gonna run out of Owner Operators, that's a fact. We're seeing a decline in Owner Operators all throughout the trucking industry. The RV Transport industry is not immune to it. What they really need though is more guys with their own low profile trailers. Sure there's some out there hauling bumper pull rv's on their low/ramped trailers but apparently not as many as needed.

For several years now I've been saying (mostly to myself) what the rv transport industry needs is two separate dispatch teams. One to ship the trailers out, and another aggressively hunting down and booking return loads. And as most of you already know that 2nd dispatch team will have their work cut out for them finding enough freight going back towards Indiana. With the right people on that 2nd dispatch team though, it could be done, and it could be very lucrative.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. Pneuma911

Pneuma911 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I have a ford f150 p/u. its not brand new but having a truck already, would this be decent for me to look into? Im single so it shouldnt be as bad as a guy with wife and kids.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly, I have a new f150 with the 5.0L as a personal vehicle and I can tell you right now that if I were towing regularly, I would've bought a diesel. It tows fine on the flat but throw a mountain pass in front of it with 3000 lbs of trailer and you will find its foot to the floor, 4000 RPM to the top. My work truck with the Powerstroke loaded to 18k lbs GVW would get up the hill just as fast and hardly break a sweat.

11. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    That would be the answer. They would be able to retain O/O. I don't know personally but training new personal constantly is costly and counterproductive.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.