Having trouble getting my wife on board with being a Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Last_over_hill, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Chrisap55

Chrisap55 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    How do you get a wife to cheat on you? Break up with you? Something to get me out of paying for this mortgage and utilities. Any answers appreciated. I've been trying my best to be the worst but she just won't kick me out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Using load boards and being home nightly . Pigs fly type situation

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Try this. Diminishes lighter loss, doesnt eliminate it, put one in every vehicle you smoke in, in truck, if you dont think its strong enough, replace the retracting cable with a cb keeper
    Screenshot_20210815-090054_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  5. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Tell her you're going to be hauling a lot of lingerie and women's shoes and it could mean big discounts! She will probably drive you to pick up the truck.

6. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I recently went back to being an OO, but not over the road, your wife has valid concerns, and just because a load board looks good now, it can change fast, personally, if I was a company driver doing LTL, or OTR, I’d probably stay put, but where I live, works is not likely to slow anytime soon (aggregate haul), and the deal I’ve got pays me per hour, with a lot of sitting time, truck not running, I’m home every day, sleep in my own bed at night, good luck on your journey to becoming an OO

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I managed to do that a few years. Just depends were you live.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    About 2 years now running off the load boards and haven't spent the night in the truck. Northeast though, out west that really wouldn't be possible. The trade off is having to deal with miserable jersey/NY metro traffic

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. JustCallMeDriver

JustCallMeDriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2021
    How much of this is schedule, and how much of this is a burning desire, no, NEED, to run your own business, where the driving is basically an afterthought compared to what you do now?

You keep going back to wanting time off.

If you're fine with 50-60k and want time at home not spent working, with your experience, you should be able to find that in local company job. Look outside your company and you will find home daily, day shift jobs that last less than 11 hours a day, and not take the job home with you. They will pay less than your company pays, where you can't get the hours you want.

If your problem with those 5 days a week, 600 mile day shift turns at your current company is that it takes 11 hours a day to complete... I have some bad news about your owner op plans.

I hope you see the problem with running a business where your mindset is already "well I don't need that much, so I won't be putting in the hours to make big bucks." Running a business, trucking in particular, is not a steady income. You have to max out the good times to weather the bad times. If you're already starting off with "I don't need the money so I'm not focused on maximizing it" then you will fail unless you're fine turning your truck into an extremely expensive hobby, wiping out all of your savings very very fast.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  10. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    If you need to lose money for a tax right off, buy a truck

11. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I don't own a trucking business but I've been in business for myself. I'd triple the liability amount.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.