Heading To Schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by JimTheHut, Oct 10, 2023.

1. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I took the summer off from Trucking to see If retirement would be something that I would enjoy. While I did enjoy my time off, I can not see me sitting through the winter. I am not wired that way. Even though I am 71, I do not feel or act that way.
    So i started looking at jobs and I put an application on Friday for an Intermodal position. I would be picking up my truck around 20 miles from my house and I would be home every night. Just what I was looking for. On Monday I got a text to call a recruiter. Made the call and answered the questions. I believe I was then offered a conditional job offer. I was then transferred to another recruiter who said she would be my recruiter throughout the process. Answered more questions and went over my job history ect. I was offered to come to orientation next Monday in Chicago.
    Today I received two additional emails with several attachments describing the job and all the requirements and the normal does and don'ts. The thing that was stressed the most was that Schneider could change anything on a moments notice.
    Also received information about the benefits ect.
    I was with Maverick Transportation from 2010 until 2013. Part of that time I was an over the road recruiter. One of my best friends was a recruiter for Schneider. He is retired now, but I communicated with him and he said that this assignment is a pretty good one. So I am confident that this is going to be a good gig.
    I am driving up to Chicago on Sunday for a Monday start. They will reimburse me a tank of fuel. They are of course providing the hotel room. It is scheduled to be a one week orientation and then I will have additional training when I start back in Ohio. I will update this as I have time during the week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Wb, I did intermodal for Schneider for over 2 years in Chicago. Chassis was horrible but that was when Schneider was renting our chassis. Now they have their own

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    It's mostly about the railyard(s) in question.

If their operations are mostly in "constipation" mode (in-gating, out-gating, loading your chassis) -- or.....your dispatchers treat you and your clock like you're delivering pizzas in a TransAm (because they've never driven a big-rig -- & especially in mostly an urban environment) -- then your above gig will suck (big-time). :confused:

The above paragraph explains why I left Schneider. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

Life is just tooooooooo short....

-- L

Lonesome, tscottme and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
  6. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I understand completely. Everyone place is different. I am going to be paid hourly as well as per load, so I really don't care how long it takes them to get things done. i don't speed and I don't hurry. Bad things happen when you do both of those things. If it turns out to be bad, I will just find something else to do. Someone else's failure to plan does not constitute an emergency for me!

7. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I have read where it is much better now that they have their own chassis. That was always the biggest negative of intermodal..

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The Schneider-owned chassis status did not help my situation there AT ALL.

You can't fix stupid. :rolleyes:

-- L

ducnut and JimTheHut Thank this.
  9. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Sometimes you can if someone is willing to learn....but those people are few and far between....

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Congrats on the new gig and good luck to ya driver!!

Lonesome and JimTheHut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.