Healthy eating while on the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jslaven, Jul 22, 2020.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It's harder to do now with all this corona nonsense shutting down restaurants that had my salad bars I would always hit up for vitamins.

I try to buy a cup of vegetables from Loves daily if they are available and they look reasonably fresh. Honestly though, I visit a Loves some where daily, and only end up buying a cup maybe 3 days a week. The other days they just don't have them, or they look nasty.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MonsterOR

MonsterOR Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Greek yogurt is one of the best things you can eat. As long as it is PLAIN

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Jslaven

Jslaven Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2020
    My Achilles’ tendons are trashes from the military

5. Hauler_bowler

Hauler_bowler Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2018
    I remember the chopped pineapple and grapes and other fruits clearly tasted like chemicals used for storing them.

6. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    walmart but honestly good luck! It’s almost impossible

7. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I buy boiled eggs for breakfast. When at home we grill chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, freeze them. Bring along frozen veggies, canned veggies, soups, Dinty Moore stew. Bring along apples, walnuts, pecans. I usually buy salad here and there when I find them. I’ll do a Wendy’s or Hardee’s, Arby’s sandwiches without the buns, skip the fries. I bring cans of sardines, tuna, or salmon, sometimes that is supper.
    Don’t eat all day long, if you do, your insulin stays high all the time and your body stores more fat. Drink nothing with sugar or sweetener in it.
    So breakfast is usually two boiled eggs, coffee, around 5 or 6 AM, I sometimes eat 1/4 or 1/3 cup nuts mid morning. Lunch is my main meal between noon and 3pm, I have reheated meat and veggies, then supper is very light, sometimes a salad, other times a can of fish.

Lite bug and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    My two cents of advice is to eat hard boiled eggs, unsalted peanuts, peanut butter with natural oil, and bananas. Always have a supply of that in the truck and you'll be fine. Considering that drivers are sitting a lot, the calories consumed need to come down. Also, try to walk as much as you can, even if you have to pace back and forth the length of the truck while at a dock.

I never got into cooking in the truck and the foods I suggested are fast and easy. Stay away from the roller dogs and fast food garbage.

Farmerbob1 and sirhwy Thank this.
  9. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    dosent work realllt depends on what you eat too eat fish if you fast and eat food at end of day your body is starving and will conserve the fat from the food and you’ll gain fat and lose muscle

10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    If you're trying to eat healthy, be careful with the canned foods. They usually have a lot of sodium. You have to pay attention to the labels.

Aamcotrans and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Recent science and studies do not back up your assertion. If you Google intermittent fasting, you will learn some interesting information. At least it opened my eyes. I am 60 years old, 5' 8". Thirty days ago I weighed 187 lbs. Yes.....fat for a man my age and height, that spends 12 hours a day sitting behind a steering wheel. I cut the carbs out of my life. Have been eating meat, eggs, cheese, canned fish, (sardines, kippers, tuna and salmon) along with fresh vegetables. (Lettuce, kale, spinach, cucumbers, cabbage, avacados, etc) plus 1 multivitamin and 1 5000 IU D3 tablet daily. I have been eating once per day between 1300-1700 hours. I have dropped 12 pounds in 30 days. I have also saved a crap ton of money on donuts, sweet rolls, cinabons, ........the list goes on. Another 4-6 weeks and I should be 162-165 lbs. Plus.....my "grocery" bill has been slashed dramatically. As I mentioned in a previous post, I only spend less than $400.00 per month on food and drinks, even eating all of those useless empty calories of grains and sugars. In the last month my Walmart bill has been less than $250.00. It's not easy for the first 2 weeks or so, but.......it's worth it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.