Help!!! I'm being forced to haul a unsecured forklift

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lspilot82, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    All you blocking guys might be able to move the forklift without it shifting but that is not secure.

At 7000lbs at least two tie downs with a sum WLL of 3.5 k are needed. Plus another strap for the forks. That is how the DOT will see it and that is the minimum to keep things safe.

Now my position on this is - screw your boss. He does not get tickets. His license is in tact. He does not loose his carrier. If given the chance I would strap it down myself with my straps or chains. If that is not allowed I would take it to his boss before the trailer is moved. And the boss after that if need be. And then the next boss. All with photos and the rule book.

These middle management f---- all like to make decisions as long as the consequences can be put on some one else. Just make sure you are not some one else.

tsavory, Big Don and Vilhiem Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. B-bop

B-bop Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I hate to tell you this but if anything goes wrong YOU will be the one answering for it, therefore YOU need to man up and put your foot down(or up someones butt) NO LOAD IS WORTH A LIFE

4. B-bop

B-bop Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Even if no one gets hurt if you get caught you will get I a buttload of trouble, you got to ask yourself if that job is worth your career and cdl.

5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    A wise man once said nothing kept his eyes forward and provided for that better life he's been chasing ahead.

6. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    well I would say that I would make sure the load is strapped and bared, then haul it. but I would start looking for a another job! why? because this want be the last time you will be forced to haul bad load that is a unlawful load.. if you hurt someone you could face prison. I to was forced to haul a bad load, I found another job.

7. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I would refuse, and if the boss fires you, report it to FMCSA and osha. If that lift truck were to come out of that trailer and cause and accident(which being unsecured IT WILL)YOU will be the one to answer for it in court or to the cops. They don't care if the boss forced you or not, all they are going to see is that you decided to drive with an unsafe load. I'd rather err on the safety and wind up looking for another job than make a choice where I could end up with someone's blood on my hands and regretting that unsafe decision for the rest of my life.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Problem is, in a slickside trailer your options are somewhat limited.

Another option is to remove the forks, and turn the forklift sideways inside the trailer against other freight, and use pallets to fill the spaces between the forklift and the trailer walls.

One just has to remember to include the forklift's fuel content on the BOL as hazmat.

9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I understand, but if the company wants to haul a forklift in the trailer the DOT has rules for that. As the DOT see's it a vehicle must be strapped down like I said or it is a out of service ticket. You got to have eye bolts, securement loops, or e-track in the trailer to make it work.

The only possible loophole is palletising the forklift and have it strapped to a pallet but even that the DOT might call BS on.

"p style="margin-left: 40px;">(a)
    <em><b>Applicability.</b></em> The rules in this section apply to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lb) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) must be secured in accordance with the provisions of § 393.130 of this part.</P>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;">(b)
    <em><b>Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.</b></em> (1) Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.</P>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;">(2) Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.</P>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;">(3) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of an automobile, light truck, or van must provide restraint in the lateral, longitudinal and vertical directions.</P>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;">(4) Edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes in contact with the tires.</P>"

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Wasn't the one I was looking for, but it gets the point across:

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/cr...11e1-83e9-001a4bcf6878.html?mobile_touch=true

There was another incident in Arkansas (if I remember correctly) where a guy (logging company?) was moving a bulldozer a short distance from one job site to the next...unsecured...and it slipped off and killed somebody on the road. He, too, saw prison time for manslaughter. It isn't worth it. Secure your load EVERY TIME! No matter WHAT the boss says about how "others" do it, YOU are responsible for YOUR load, and YOU will be sent up to the big house if YOUR load kills somebody when it comes out of the trailer on the road.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Hadda spend some time calmin down form all the laffin i was doin readin this...before I could post anything--course the answer has been given a couple of times--couple of pallets of heavy product--and your done--and if you are worried about gettin checked during your 2mile local trip===get one heavy pallet--back the lift in w/the pallet-centered in wagon-raise forks till they make contact with freight(do not lift)just put pressure on....then walk and put 2 more heeavy pallets in front of the single--load bar behind the 2 palletts=forklift now hidden and it cant go nowhere...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.