Help your your reefer and apu keep it's cool.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by bzinger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I meant how far as in middle way 3/4?
    Depending on how the shipper is on checking temp. I’d set the bulkhead at the 1/2 way mark or at the end of the chute. I also have a wooden dowel with foam pipe insulation zip tied to a load lock to pinch off the chute.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Ah, its 3/4 of the way down. Thats where the banana bar is set up at the top which the bulkhead is locked against.

We do pick ups all week as the trailer steadly fills up and we also need storage for empty pallets. We might be able to reset the banana bar closer but we would have to open the doors. We are now in the -22 range very close to excursion point. Its plasma so its very temp sensitive and shippers will not ship under -25 ever.

The office people arent getting it. They keep telling me to spray and driving around more. It didnt work the first time, it wont work a second time. LOL! It needs to get dark, get looked at for repair, or they need to recover the run. Thats my opinion anyway. I've never had a trailer struggle this hard.

062 Thanks this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Could be the condenser needs cleaning. You have the doors open on the unit?

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Have you tried opening the doors on the unit and dropping the trailer and pull forward a few feet?

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yes, twice now. We are spraying it again. Tractor pulled forward and unit service doors opened.

bzinger and 062 Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Fortunately some storm clouds blew in and the reefer got down to where it needed to be. Got all my pick ups taken care of. :)

On my way back to TX now. At a rest area some moron turned off my reefer. Lol.

ncmickey and 062 Thank this.
  8. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    If your doing a staggered loading , long time , on your reefer do not let your loader leave the dock door open in a hot warehouse , make sure your not cooling the warehouse , if you have to pull out close your doors and wait until until they have complete Talley , dont let the tk sit there in hi speed and hammer.

9. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    That’s ####ed up. I hate to hear that. I would go postal on someone turning off my reefer.
    I haul plasma a lot too. Our low setting is -35c (-30f) Takes 2-3 hrs but gets down there...
    Are your temps that shipper uses the unit display temp or do you have a secondary temp unit. We have glycol well temp readers and a printer on the trailer nose to get actual temp inside reefer.

magoo68 and TravR1 Thank this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    016DA567-0FDE-43D1-BAEA-6A4C17603847.jpeg This is how I set up for my first pick.

ncmickey and TravR1 Thank this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Same here. Its a separate unit on the trailer nose which has a sensor inside the trailer that looks like a steel cylinder. The donor locations print out a current value slip at every pick up. I think its called a Euroscan.. Or an Ameriscan.

We have a banana bar that goes across the top, and we stack the pallets straight as possible in front of the bulkhead in left side. Then loadlocks are used behind it. That way the staging area isnt as cold so we can stack and wrap inside trailer without worrying about coats. The larger doors are never opened, we have a mini door open and toss them in. Most pick ups are in dense commercial areas like dollar generals and such.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.