Here is why rates are tanking!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by LaComa, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I'm just curious why you would want to? Unless you have a steel rub rails, I wouldnt. If i cant wrap around 2 spools, then I'm going through the rail to a steel crossmember under the deck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    A surplus of owner operators willing to run their trucks for $0.85 per mile causes rates to go down.
    [​IMG]

booley and JonJon78 Thank this.
  4. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I haven’t. Never done it. But here is a real world example. Imagine if this was a flatbed with 2 straps in that damaged area holding one pieces of something with a high center of gravity flying around a turn

Who's at fault?

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Im not saying it's ideal. Im disputing the claim there is a regulation against it.

RollinThunderVet Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Will never happen. I have mirrors and the common sense to use them.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I’m sure you do. But what about that idiot blind side backing next to you and scrapes The Whole side of your trailer There are ways it can happen through no fault of your own. No sense in having straps or even chains outside of the rub rail if one can avoid it wether legal or not.

No offense or disrespect intended but I-can drive my truck with 1 arm and 1 leg, doesn’t make it a good freaking idea

8. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I get it. But I wonder how often it happens. If it was such a problem and so many lives were endangered why was the rule changed. I would like to see some actual incidents vs theroretical. I think more stuff falls of open deck trailers from poor or inadequate securement than secument devices failing for any reason.

D.Tibbitt, LoneCowboy and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    It would take a tremendous amount of force to cut straps. Somebody backing up next to u would #### up there trailer more than mine and the straps would not even be damaged .

10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    After reading this entire thread, I have arrived at a conclusion for my future.

I shall sell my platforms and buy a nice safe van trailer, and run it happily down the road - praying that nobody takes pictures of an unlatched door catch.

Because apparently I’ve been securing freight in a dangerous manner for 5 years now.

D.Tibbitt, LoneCowboy, booley and 7 others Thank this.
  11. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Heres what i imagine is the legal argument to that. If someone enters you lane and clips your trailer, it is still their legal responsibility. Had you not been hit, your load would still be secured and on the trailer.
    This is why I believe a full camera setup(front sides, and rear/cargo) are worth their weight in gold.
    You cant be held liable for someone else's criminal actions.

beastr123 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.