High Fiber? Organic? Healthy?!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by jdsolelady, Feb 2, 2019.

1. jdsolelady

jdsolelady Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Indiana
    Any High Fiber foods/recipes/recommendations?

Best places to go for Organic?

Any book or article recommendations?

What works for you? What items are your "must haves" to stay healthy?

camionneur Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am not particular for this food or that food. Call me old fashioned.

With that in mind, I rely on cantelope and tomatos, for the fiber needed to build mass to eliminate waste and hydration to do it. tomatoes seem to fight the problems in the blood where if not present you could be sicker. Other than that it's Steak and taters or STeak and eggs etc or some such depending on where in the USA you are at.

To me in trucking food = calorie energy for both lumping and staying warm. In those days I ate what I needed to not to be tired no matter how cold it got or how heavy the work required. It worked out well. I know not to take in that much calorie now because I would be killed by Obesity.

4. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I prefer hot and steamy melons... think about it; well, cold cantaloupe can be a fatal attraction! All raw foods, including frozen produce, are safer to eat cooked, that is.

"During the past decade, fruits and vegetables have become leading vehicles of food-borne illnesses... For example, in a multistate outbreak of listeriosis in 2011 that resulted in 34 deaths and was the most deadly food-borne outbreak in the United States since 1924, four outbreak-associated strains of Listeria monocytogenes were traced back to whole cantaloupes and packing equipment on Jensen Farms in Colorado... The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Organic Program permits the incorporation of raw manure... Furthermore, outbreak surveillance data of produce items compiled by the CDC during the period 2000-2009 revealed that leafy greens were the most common item associated with food-borne disease, followed by tomatoes and cantaloupes."

Steam makes melons safer... "Pathogen levels were generally 1,000 times lower on the surfaces of steam-treated melons (99.9% reduction) and were undetectable on the cut-up pieces. Surface pathogen levels were about 100 times lower than those found on cantaloupes sanitized with chlorine."

Of course, there are other ways to make them hot and steamy... :biggrin_255:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Reason for edit: I'd call that a cookbook.
  5. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I just got food poisioning from a truck stop 4 days ago...I got the pre-cut orange melon in a cup.

camionneur Thanks this.
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Never ever buy the pre cut cups!!!

As far as the OP’s question. Define organic? I’ve seen so many variations of that term. I’m not sure what it is, unless I grew it myself.

PS, I do love watching those crop dusters spray the organic fields in Cali lololol

BlueThunderr and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  7. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Hey, those sushi rolls look good.

8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    How to Report a Foodborne Illness... There are several food safety news stories about melons too (yet I didn't know about this until I got suspicious myself, because the usual news sources under report it). If you'd like to know more about which foods tend to cause food poisoning, the CDC has a list of foodborne outbreak investigations, as does the FDA.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Reason for edit: No, seriously...
  9. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    You can't make this stuff up . . . or is sneezing not 'organic'?!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Reason for edit: Think about it.
    misterG Thanks this.
  10. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    dont eat too much of those high fiber diets lady. you will be farting out everyone at the fuel island and painting porcelin and truck stop bathrooms across the globe

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.