Highest paying LTL trucking company

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by KullenTrucking, Jul 29, 2019.

1. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    I doubt that. Interest rates are horrible for anyone to be financing a home right now. Any homes being sold around California are to cash buyers.
    I was a bedbug hauler the last year for a small company in Santa Barbara. The moving biz is still decent for the high end clientele that they had exactly because they’re all cash buyers and sellers, but for average Joe moving companies it’s dead.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Welp, you're correct. Lenders were offering 50-year loans in the mid-2000s, but there are none doing it currently.

4. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I'm out of Indy myself. How long have you been with OD?

5. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    That's just ABSOLUTELY absurd but the government will find a way shaft us every time. Cali is just expensive for no legit reason. Estes offered 25k to move to San Jose a few years ago and I was thinking... "Where you gonna live with that?"

You already know it was one of those setups where they pay the money in installments also lol.

dwells40 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. NvySwmr626

Mar 17, 2023
    More people want to buy homes than homes are available for sale. Pretty simple economics.
    The real issue are the NIMBY’s. Ironically, most are the same liberals who cry about affordable housing…just not in THEIR neighborhood.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think the notion of keeping up with the Jones’ has a little to do with that too. Seemingly less people can be happy living in a relatively modest house. Everybody wants a 10000 sq ft mansion with the latest everything, while SOME of us are simply grateful to have a roof over our heads.

hotrod1653, Digman943 and ‘Olhand Thank this.
  8. NvySwmr626

Mar 17, 2023
    That was certainly what brought about the subprime mortgage crisis in 08. “Oh, you can afford this ridiculous house, we’ll just leave your income blank”. It was predatory, but a lot of those “victims” financed homes they knew they couldn’t qualify for in normal circumstances.

Now it’s more “okay boomer” nonsense. I did a project for a macro Econ course awhile back where we got into the nitty-gritty on home ownership. It wasn’t a thing until the second half of the 20th century, and it’s directly correlated with unemployment (and you see it a lot in the rust belt). It makes people less mobile and willing to relocate for jobs, obviously.

9. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Dude I'm 32 and they be calling me boomer when I address how fake these lifestyle they wanna live are. They been on Instagram too long. That stuff is not real.

10. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    And guess who’s actually buying those expensive California properties?

[​IMG]

11. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    That's pretty much what happened here at the RTO terminal. They hired a bunch of new blood and dock workers and trained them in-house to get CDLs and become "combo" drivers. Essentially on-call to work city, linehaul or dock. I transferred to RTO in October 2021 as a wild board linehaul guy, so thankfully no dockwork for me. But my co-driver was one of the new hire combos, along with another new hire we befriended.

When freight fell off the cliff the following January, most combos were stuck to the dock. Must have been really demoralizing for the dock guys looking to move up only to be sent back to where they came. For us three musketeers, we would travel to San Jose nearly every week to do city work. 5 days a week vs 2-3 in RTO, plus free hotel and per diem. But that dried up after a few months, so my co-driver and I decided to go team last October while team bids were still vacant. Our third musketeer left OD a couple weeks ago to haul gasoline. I used to do that in San Diego a few years back. Work is consistent, pays around the same as a good LTL run, but it's physical, dangerous and very procedural. One mistake or missed step and you've got several gallons of fuel spilled somewhere, an octane cross-mix, or a fire in the absolute worst case scenario.

I hear my terminal recently let go of 20-30 dockworkers and possibly the same amount of drivers. Wild board work has slowly gotten a bit better, but it's still normal for even our bid linehaul guys to get cancelled twice a week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.