Highest paying LTL trucking company

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by KullenTrucking, Jul 29, 2019.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Ah that explains why they have a separate time clock in PHX for California drivers. I figured it was for some weird CA payroll rules or something, but it seemed odd that they’d have drivers come 300 miles just to clock in and work the dock.

LtlAnonymous and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Big E is .695 extraboard. 675 schedule idk what the hourly is cause we really dont get it. You get $8 to break a set $8 to hook a set and jack #### for fueling.

Csdsm18 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  4. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The highest paying LTL is gonna be the one that works you consistently. It's true that the big guys might pay more on paper. But if the economy shifts into georgia overdrive on the down-cycle, their bottom men will feel the most pain of reduced runs, reduced hours, more dock work, etc.

5. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    This is any LTL company big or small. During a recession If you don’t have seniority you could sit at home for weeks.

6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Another thing you have to remember is you can't just go by numbers:

i make a higher hourly rate AND mileage rate here at UPSF, which i believe we are the highest paying right now, yet McUzi at FedEx is still blowing me away in total YTD earnings by a sizeable margin.

i think this is a good reason why we post our checks----so we can compare actual, real-world numbers. Not just the numbers the company is advertising to get you in the door.

You can't just go by numbers, you have to go by how you run, luck, terminal, atmosphere etc.

With me, i'm tending to be a little more laid back because i believe there is always going to be a piece of pie tomorrow----so why wear yourself out? i think REST is the most important aspect of the job----not what your truck runs, where you run, how many miles you get etc.

i could have run last night, but declined (my schedule is Sun-thurs), because i was just too tired. But that was like $300-500 i just gave up.

At the same token, if you run like the energizer bunny, then you could make good coin at almost any LTL company.

But health is more important than wealth.

Remember, there is always going to be a piece of pie tomorrow. Why rag yourself out today?

My philosophy anyways.....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Absolutely true but the bigger LTL's have higher costs because they're more service oriented. Talk to a city man at SAIA, he's gonna be covering an area of like 2-3+ FedEx Freight drivers. When the economy rises, capacity gets tight and shippers are more profitable so they may use say higher priced FedEx Freight or XPO vs lower priced R&L because of the service levels. If there's a recession, shippers will become more price conscious and will start looking at cheaper options and that's why bottom men suffer more at the big guys. Big guys might have city operations with like 100+ drivers so if things slow down alot more guys are gonna be sitting at home.

8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe it's just luck, but i have not experienced too much sitting around that was not by my choice either city or linehaul. On the rare nights that i do sit, i welcome it because i can get some good rest.

surf_avenue and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Spot on. I post my checks and a brief explanation of the week that led to it because, while I happened to get very lucky to walk into the barn that I did with the type of runs that it has when I came into FXF, it wasn't because of hours of research on making the best decision on earning good money with my cdl, it was at a friend's suggestion (who works for FXF about a decade senior to me) in response to my desire to get away from the sweatshop operation of a dedicated TMC flatbed run. This run, while home daily with a very new and shiny and well spec'd 579, was also structured to have to almost run out your 14 daily to earn a decent paycheck. The straw that broke my back? One full week of near torrential downpours in July running 3-4 flatbed loads every day in late afternoon/early evening New England vacation traffic consisting of pulling soaked tarps at Home Depot locations that treated their own dedicated carriers like garbage. Not once did I break $1,200 gross in the 26 weeks that I worked there, yet I frequently put in 12-13.5 hours daily.

Btw @Russian Rabbit , give me a heads up if you're heading out toward the Newburgh terminals, we can PC to the Pilot or Speedway on Neelytown and have lunch some time.

10. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
  11. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    I looked into ltl recently because I heard about the great pay . Once they told me I'd be home every day and weekends off I had to say no way. They also have seniority , micro managment , and uniforms. To me it just wasn't worth it I've gotten use to spending my home time on vacation with family and having my ### kissed because the demand for OTR drivers. I think with time you'll make the same as a ltl driver maybe not the high seniority guys but the bulk of them.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.