Hit & run victim, no legal recourse.

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Coolbreezin, Sep 14, 2023.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Cops don't care about a hit and run. The only crime they will try to solve is a homicide. Back in 2004 I was parked at a Pilot taking a shower when a box truck slammed into the hood of my brand new company truck. There was video that clearly showed what happened but you couldn't make out the company name on the door of the offenders truck. There was witnesses but nobody saw the name or any identifying info. Cops showed up and just shrugged their shoulders.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    To be fair what could they have done? Of course they know damage happened, but without anything to identify who caused the damage how can they proceed?
    Real life isn't CSI, there is no "enhance image" that makes a blurry image magically clean up.

4. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    I posted a picture of the trailer with the company name circled.

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Cops only care about writing speeding tickets and other easy ways to move money from your pocket to their pocket .

anything that requires actual investigation and actual work gets avoided

writing a snail mail letter to the police supervisor who is responsible for handling the investigation, is the way to get cops interested in lifting their finger to do actual work

cops are only afraid of two things :
    Attorneys , and TV reporters .

If you can get some paperwork or letters going back and forth showing the cops are not actually doing anything , then you can get a tv reporter interested ,
    Once the tv reporter contacts the police department, they will suddenly be motivated to actually do their job .

get the letters and then give the tv reporter exclusive rights to the dashcam footage or whatever for the first 30 days or something .

once the dash cam footage is on Instagram or Twitter or Facebook along with the letters
    The cops might be interested

also posting the dashcam on the internet like YouTube or wherever and then emailing a link to the video to the law firm that represents the trucking company may also get some action .

also try sending the dashcam video to the states DOT enforcement

maybe get in contact with someone at the state DOT so you can include their email address in the header when you email the link to the video to the trucking company

if the company knows the DOT and the local cops are considering getting involved , then the company may be motivated to do something .

you can find A young tech savvy person and have them get the video on the internet and tagged to the companies Facebook page and maybe pay some business to maximize the Google search results so anytime someone googles the company name , the first thing that pops up on the search results is your dashcam video

but sometimes crap like that happens and you just get screwed

I had a driver turn to sharp and damage the front of my rig and their driver stick around for the police to come wrote a report etc
    But on private property no one was issued a ticket

and the company just said “too bad , we ain’t paying you a dime “

and that was that .

Same as my car crash I mentioned .
    I got a herniated disc , and a maximum possible payment of $10k

their ins co has offered me $2,700 as compensation for a herniated disc .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.