Holiday Monday are most shippers closed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Elroythekid, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    We do tractors out of Edgewood MD quite a bit but nothing available.
    I'm here for the night, and probably the weekend. It doesnt make sense to bounce that far AGAIN. I'll wait it I guess and see what the new week brings.

CAXPT and ‘Olhand Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    President's Day

CAXPT and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I just checked DAT and there isn’t anything but a partial for $0.59 a mile from Baltimore lol. Sorry man.

CAXPT and Elroythekid Thank this.
  5. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    This will seal the deal as far as me moving on. I have an opportunity to stay local and do container work, store deliveries etc. They have lots of work.
    I need my own plates, insurance and numbers, that process I've started already. If things improve economy wise and I want to come back out here on the road all I would need is US Authority and a trailer. No more giving up 26%. I've wanted to do it for a while now, control my own work completely. I guess this will push me over the line and make me do it.

Magoo1968, CAXPT, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Is it not a holiday in NS as well? Its Family Day here in the west and most places are shut down.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgive my ignorance, but is it even possible to book a load from a strange shipper like that on a spur of the moment basis?

Jacoooooooo, CAXPT and cke Thank this.
  8. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Yes it is, family day also.

CAXPT, cke and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, just trying to help. I know, I was hauling loads from there up toward MIchigan, that stopped in like Ohio (good place to get better loads), IN..etc, that would at least get you further up to a better market and closer to Canada. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  10. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Not sure, as I've always been a company driver, but I often had to remind my dispatch (who encouraged me to find loads, most of the time) of places I had been with other companies or just places I was aware of. I know there's one in Michigan that if I delivered to, I could have picked a load outbound right from there. It was up to dispatch, but at least once or twice I got them to let take one of the outbound loads because they didn't have anything closer. This of course, was because we already had "approval" because of the company, but I can't see any reason why his dispatch couldn't have hooked him up down there if they were "reputable".

Getting your own carrier pack would be a little harder I imagine, but once in...you've got an 'option' if down that way. I wasn't sure what his particulars were, but as @Elroythekid has stated, he has a dispatch, so I'd be chewing them a new butthole for not hooking me up and letting me sit. They may not like the rates, but if you want to move, at least it's an option.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  11. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Geez........I hope you weren't talking about Menards! Cheapest freight known to mankind...........

JD

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.