Horrible crash in Lakewood CO, I70 closed both directions. 12 vehicles 4 semi huge fire

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Expeditor, Apr 25, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think Miss Lisa probably did gain some weight. That is not a problem provided she is healthy with it. Her driving is well worth the episodes sometimes. I am aware the ice road episode crews try to make drama for the masses that don't have a clue about trucking. For instant, pulling air lines without pulling Mr Pop first. So that the hoses make alot of leaking air and fly all over the place. It's unnecessary.

One time her truck got sick. And she was not in a position to stop but thought the situation through and diagnosed it as the clutch in the transmission requiring attention and when the service finally got to where to fix the truck, it was indeed the correct diagnosis more or less.

However I have a bad habit of throwing stuff at the TV set yelling BS. Especially when I see trucks over the heaves and fly the steers 10 feet above the pavement to slam back down at 50. It's a form of abuse.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Don't drink the Koolaid, it was scripted and discovery did their very best to make the drivers look stupid, and the road look stupid, infact nearly everything the film crew done was stupid.
    I flew up in febuary the first year they were here, but didn't know it. Max speed limit on the Dalton is 50, and the first trip coming back I saw an eye shining on the plow burm at the bottom of the roller coaster, I was running 85 and had a rolling cloud of snow behind me. My first thought was they had set up a radar and would be waiting at the top.
    I blew by an idiot with a trypod set up within a foot of the road, still thinking radar.
    I told the boss the next morning and he told me about the film crew. lol

A couple of weeks later I came out of prudhoe in a blow, visibity less than 50 foot, so we all were running 25 mph or so. The driver of one of their pickups with a crew in rear ended a carlyle truck(ironic) bad enough that one had busted ribs and a punctured lung. No such a thing as an ambulance in a blow, he just had to suffer till the next day and the wind subsided.
    The whole deal not only impeded traffic on the road, but was somewhat more than just an inconvenience, but sort of a danger at times, and should never have been allowed as far as I am concerned.

One of the lines they had Lisa say on the air, reportedly cost carlyle a contract with BP, which I thought was fitting. lol

One old time driver I know, actually threw his beer bottle through his TV when he tried to watch it. lol

Lepton1, Hammer166 and Bud A. Thank this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Probably why they never went back to the haul road.

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I yell at YouTube and my TV but I think that's normal when you get old.

Hammer166 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well I am no spring chicken, but I wouldn't call yelling at a tv normal. lol I equate it with folks screaming over the cb, letting it get their blood pressure, I just could not wrap my head around screaming, yelling or whatever at something I could not do anything about. lol

I also had a friend years ago,that just bought a new 44 mag, he outdrew Matt Dillon and blasted the heck out of his newish color tv. lol

7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    You ain't got rid of that 13" B&W yet? :D

rank and Skate-Board Thank this.
  8. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    No, it stills works great

tv1.jpg

rank, Bud A., Hammer166 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I was reading some more stuff about this (the driver doesn't have to wear an ankle bracelet, and yes, he showed up for the hearing) and came across an article that explains the signs on I-70 warning truckers that they're not down yet. They were put up after a 1989 crash where a livestock hauler killed two people and injured seven. They also had to put down 40 of the 44 horses he was hauling to a slaughterhouse in Texas.

I-70's 'Don't be fooled' signs installed after 1989 runaway truck crash

I also found an article that indicates that the 1989 driver was tried on two counts of criminally negligent homicide, but I didn't pay for the printout from the Colorado Springs Gazette to find out the details, and I couldn't find any indication of whether he was convicted. Maybe if I'm real bored next time I'm home I'll head over to JeffCo and search their court records to find out if he was convicted. But it's interesting to me that a driver 30 years ago was tried for homicide in a very similar case. I'm still having a hard time understanding why others don't see that such charges are to be expected in such a case.

Summary of newspaper archives for stories about Curtis Woods

rank and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I am sure he will face manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide charges, but that is different than murder or regular homicide charges, they don't have to have intent to convict, and will not be as harsh of a sentence.

rank Thanks this.
  11. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    @Skate-Board , I'll be ######, I always wondered what happened to you. I remember you from years ago on The Class A Drivers forum and I remember you had just starting out driving and were narrating your new adventures

And I especially remember the legendary fights you had with , "the Rev" I'm glad you proved all the naysayers wrong and you ran how you wanted and left trucking on your own terms. Glad you're doing well.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.