How’s the LTL sector doing where you’re at?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Mar 1, 2020.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    They are talking about this possibly causing permanent damage to the economy if they don't open it back up here soon. Some analysts are suggesting our economy will shrink by as much as 20%.

There are so many factors and pieces, and not a single one is good. Restarting the economy is going to be much harder than flipping a light switch. A lot of people don't consider that many of these businesses, whether it's small or massive factories, have been shut down for over a month now. Many of their machines have been shut off and require all kinds of maintenance to get back in running order. I mean, how long will that take and is that something most can afford given they have generated zero revenue in the past few weeks?

I hope the politicians know what they are doing and are not keeping the plug pulled longer than absolutely necessary. But I got a feeling a lot of these businesses will not come back from this. And I hope I am wrong.

Bob Dobalina and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I guess I enjoyed my time in LtL

LtlAnonymous and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  4. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Its by design. They just want control over America and us. Come hell or high water.

Digman943 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Where are you on the seniority list?

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I don’t know really. I don’t ever go in the terminal. Sunday night when I leave no one is there and early Friday morning we just toss paperwork and leave under the radar.

Texas_hwy_287, McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Well, my BFF just tossed in his hat and took a hard layoff. Said something along the line of working on his chicken coop and needing more time to day drink.

Now I don't have anyone to really BS and hide out with. Gonna have a long talk with my wife and probably will also take some time off to work on the yard. If I get full unemployed, I'd actually bring home more than I make now anyway.

alds, McUzi, BigDog Trucker and 2 others Thank this.
  8. KW10001

KW10001 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    We’re down on freight at OD, like everyone else. LAS fired 5 p&d, one had 17yrs at the company

McUzi Thanks this.
  9. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I take it they did not go in seniority order?
    Where I am at we have 36 road drivers with 8 now laid off. The bulk of the road work is pass through freight from distribution centers. For the City/dock board I was told on Wednesday that out of 23, 7 were currently on layoff with an additional 3 expected to be laid off on Friday, (yesterday).

YRC Receives Grace Period For Union Benefits Amid 'Sharp Decline'

"....YRC Worldwide (NASDAQ: YRCW) was given a grace period on health and welfare and pension fund contributions due to volume declines associated with the coronavirus.

The letter states that the grace period extended is for March contributions that were to be paid in April and that the carrier may seek an extension for "perhaps a few additional months going forward." All of YRC's less-than-truckload (LTL) operating companies – YRC Freight, Holland, New Penn and Reddaway – were reported to have experienced a "sharp decline in volumes over the past few weeks" due to customer closures and a weakened economy....."

10. yardstick996

yardstick996 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2020
    Here in Denver at UPS Freight the company has already laid off 16 drivers and there isnt really anybody working the dock either. Residential deliveries have picked up extensively but pick ups are way down for us.

11. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Out here in VA I see A Duie Pyle pulling Wegmans trailers. I usually see those guys in the NE hardly out here in southeastern VA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.