how do you get prescribed medicine on the road.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by potentialhardworker, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Might want to reconsider California. The cost of living is extraordinarily high and $15/h isn't going to cut it. If you really want it, you can likely make driving work, but do your research and trust your doctors.

potentialhardworker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    @potentialhardworker
    This life out here is a very stressful one, indeed.
    It takes a special kind of person to do this.
    One must be very comfortable with a solitary lifestyle and have an independent streak a mile wide.
    Many years ago this industry was a brotherhood where drivers would sit around talking and drinking coffee, etc.
    Now, it's everyone for themselves and rudeness abounds.
    Foremost, one has to LOVE to drive, because you're gonna do lots of it.
    In all types of weather.
    Sick.. tired.. birthdays.. holidays.. hungry.. broke.. you name it.

Don't let us old curmudgeons talk you out of it.
    We're here for the dose of reality.
    Most of us have lived this for 20-30+ years and we've seen it all.
    Folks come on here and ask Q's...
    I think the least we owe them is the truth.
    I'd dare say 70-80% will wash out within a few years nowadays.

4. potentialhardworker

potentialhardworker Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Need to visit at least, moving to Portland recently was my first time on the west coast. Wildfires aren't that great though, the amount of homeless is intimidating when you're on disability and living on the edge.

5. HappySafeLegalDriver

HappySafeLegalDriver Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Southeast Georgia
    You have been given believe it or not very reasonable answers... esp getting a medical card and clearance before you attempt school and traveling to far from home! These trucking schools only buy you a one way ticket for a reason, once you fail out, your no longer their problem, your not going to make them a penny and most likely they already have money they will never see in you again! They will kick you to the curb and they don’t care if you get back home and that’s a fact!

potentialhardworker Thanks this.
  6. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    I have a loved one with psychotic tendencies and the first thing i would say is dont let yourself start thinking you will be ok without your meds. Thats how problems start and you dont want to be behind the wheel of a truck when that happens.

That doesnt mean youre automatically ruled out as a driver. Depending on what you take, the doc doing the dot physical would likely want something from your psych doc saying you wouldnt be impaired by the meds. As others have stated, start there. As far as getting meds, it really isnt a big problem. If you use a nationwide pharmacy you can usually fill them at any location but may have to call ahead to be sure they have it in stock. Check with your doc to see if they will work with short notice for appts to keep the rx going.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If you are taking medications that don't show up on that 5 panel drug screen your subject to then the rest can be as easy as you want to make it. If you can get refills picked up you can get them sent over night to places like truck stops. I used to have mine when I drove picked up by my sister and sent over night attention my Fleet Manager if I was inbound or a Truck Stop fuel desk ( some truck stops charge for forwarding service like this). ALWAYS ASK FIRST!

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sir.

With absolute respect because I don't know you and you don't know me. Let me say this first off.

You do not need to be anywhere near a 18 wheeler right now. With your history and your stated risk of episodes and so on it's not a acceptable risk. People have actually snapped mentally and gone seriously crazy with a 18 wheeler before and it is a genuine public emergency at that point.

Because of a number of problems within the mental health, you need for appointments which will not be met on the road and saving for stock purchasing? Seriously? You will do way better to shovel the money into a hole in the ground, it will still be there when you finish.

You mentioned working part time for that disability, it's either SSI or SSdI or both if SSI is less than 760. Then the combined total will make a pretty nice living for you wherever you might be. You don't really need trucking and its constant expenses etc to take your money.

Also trucking is not disabled. You will lose your place on the disability. That will stop. if you did NOT stop, then they will go after you for back pay you did get while trucking. Don't think they wont. And they will never stop until they get back every penny.

Regarding the paranoia etc hacking, IP etc etc... I counsel you that all computers facing the internet has a address like you have for mail. There isnt any computer truly protected from law enforcement summons and so forth. Indeed the United States knows what goes onto the Net all the time. It's not a problem to worry about for people who are ordinary.

That paranoia will hurt you in trucking. Part of it requires mental stability and toughness when things get difficult. You can be killed in a thousand interesting ways out here if you allow your mind to get stupid or crazy.

You don't belong in a 18 wheeler right now. Stay on the ground with what you have already and focus on being well. Whatever is bothering you, eliminate it from your life.

9. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Dang, I thought Patty was going to team with me!!!
    I guess I'll have to get on anti-social media and find another partner.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    All I can add is you just tell your doctor you're going OTR and would need two refills a time. Then when you run out while out and about. Know the place you're going, wherever that may be, and just phone the Walmart, Walgreens, whatever and refill it. Then you just swing by to pick it up. If that answers your question. I'm not an expert though and curious myself because I use an inhaler occasionally.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You'll want to double up on your dose after cr.england gets a hold of ya.

And in general if stress is a trigger for you I would seriously re/think getting into trucking.
    A lot of folks have the idea that trucking is glamorous , paid to travel and all that and that's just not the case.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.