How do you plan to stay warm in your bunk this winter?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rubberduckin, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    I really enjoyed you in Jeremiah Johnson.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yeah, well I have spent many a night happily camping on glaciers and other more challenging conditions. Perhaps I fit that mold.

The thing is I get a feeling that most drivers have no idea how they could do in really cold conditions. Having been in temperatures as low as -45°F in a sleeping bag and pup tent, the sleeper berth of a truck is heaven.

Your body warmth alone will heat the sleeper berth at least 10-20°F above ambient temperature. Have plenty of comforters, blankets, and/or sleeping bags. Keep your head warm above all, that's why I sleep with a knit cap. You lose most of your body heat through your head and neck.

I sleep a whole lot better in my truck when it isn't idling. That's the only reason I do it. I park so I am not next to someone else idling, so I am not breathing diesel fumes, crack the vent for fresh air, and sleep well.

I DO idle if the temperatures dip to the point fuel gelling becomes an issue.

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  4. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Yeah, I spent 40 yrs in Minn
    And did a lot of winter camping
    Even did a 17 day dogsled trip on the Canadian border in Feb
    And lived in Alaska for awhile
    But them days is over
    In a truck, i want warmth when it's available.

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, I did a lot of goofy stuff like that 7 years in the Army doing recon teams (among other things). Some really nasty cold events. And then 10 years living in Alaska as a civilian. No more. I am spitting distance to SSI and I like my comfort. Paid my dues.

wore out, Lepton1 and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Wait...

... you mean dues don't last a lifetime?

I gotta sue that membership salesman.

7. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Blankets with a sleeping bag on top. The trick is waking up a bit earlier and climb outta the covers to start the truck and quickly jump back in the bunk till the temp in the bunk gets above shrivel range. I keep my next day clothes within reach cause some mornings the urge to pee is to strong to wait for heat. Then the truck is warm at least when returning from the peelot ....meant pilot!

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  8. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Heard a driver the other night on cb at the Flying J say he was cold and was looking for a fat girl. I couldn't resist teasing him so I said well I ain't no fat girl...he said hey who is this you sound so sweet, I didn't answer him...so another driver said to him, you just missed your hope of a nice looking girl, now get to bed...lmbo...crazy driver

9. Mr biggs

Mr biggs Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2016
    right near the beach
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Made up homeade chili in my crockpot here in Michigan, great during the snowstorm...I could have rolled with my recaps, but homeade chili and a 34 break ain't bad either. watching the flakes come down and got my bunk heater keepin me toasty.

Rubberduckin Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    With the numerous pileups Michigan sees when a storm like this comes through I don't blame you one bit. 94 seems to be the worst for that. I was 12 hours ahead of the one a couple years ago where the fireworks truck was involved.

Rubberduckin and free spirited1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.