How fast do you drive in the rain?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, May 10, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll be happy to work my way through the variables.

Results in 10,000 word post. I have not had one of those in a while. Maybe it's time.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The best is when they got no lights on but they got their flashers going but still doing highway speeds lol never understood that logic but then again we are talkin about 4 wheelers

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    If the question is do I automatically slow down because it is raining.....no.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I think the most important factors are whether it is day or night, how much rain is there, what is the terrain, are you familiar with the road that you are on, how much traffic is there, are you loaded or empty or bobtailing, and of course visibility.

When I used to drive through bad weather, I was never concerned about the weather. I was concerned about the ding-a-lings on the road. If you're a good driver and you have experience and you're careful, the weather isn't the problem. It's the idiots out there driving in it. So the more traffic that there is, the more careful that you have to be. Every extra vehicle that is on the road is one more idiot and one more chance someone will do something stupid.

Also keep in mind that a light rain can be more dangerous than a heavy rain. When light rain comes down on the highway the oils that are on the road become slick and a lot of accidents happen that way. When the rain is heavy and steady that tends to get washed away and it's safer. But you still have to be careful of hydroplaning. Or of someone else hydroplaning.

So the best answer is to drive at a speed, whatever that speed is, that you feel safe and you are in control of your vehicle at all times irregardless of the weather or traffic.

And it is my opinion that unless you are on a wide-open highway with few vehicles and good visibility, it's best to slow down a bit. It is easier to drive defensively if you are going a little slower.

Canadianhauler21 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    If I'm loaded I go pretty fast unless visibility or traffic become an issue. Empty I slow down, I don't want to hydroplane.

7. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    58 mph cuz I'm in a #$+&ing Prime truck and that's all I got off the cruise. 55 mph if I'm MT, so I can speed up to get that trailer back behind me if need be.

I drive a lot of two-lane highways in Texas, lots of folks letting me know I'm number one.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  8. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I drive as fast as I can for the conditions however I increase my following distance. Truck is governed at 63.

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    There's a lot of factors that go into driving in the rain:

1. Ruts - many roads have ruts that will cause continuous puddles. You can try to get your tires out of the puddles by riding the fog line, placing your driver side wheels on the center crown between the lanes...but if the ruts are really deep you can get squirrelly and have to be absolutely on top of your game in regards to steering control.

2. Pavement changes - if you are on a nice section of grooved concrete all is good. But if the road surface suddenly changes to a tar based worn out piece of #### it gets slick in a hurry.

3. Drive tires - not all drive tires are created equal. Some shed water like a champ, others have difficulty even when new. I have used off road tires for the last few years, starting with over an inch of tread depth. They can take quite a bit of puddle depth and handle snow, ice, and mud very well. If your running on thin tread depth it doesn't matter what tires you have. You're screwed and need to slow WAY down.

As with anything, having the right equipment, knowledge of what to look and feel for, and experience can keep you going at a rate of speed that other drivers may think is unsafe. No matter what, do NOT push the edge of the envelope AND be well aware that folks around you are liable to go pinballing.

Keep your distance. Be aware that 4 wheelers trying to pass or getting passed are blinded by the hurricane conditions flowing off the back of your truck. Be considerate and pay attention to what other drivers need to be safe. Back out of it if you are getting passed. Be willing to increase speed to make a pass.

NightHawk365 and Dino soar Thank this.
  10. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    My truck is governed at 65 I always do 65 if I have a faster truck I’d go faster rain dosent really matter unles your in traffic then yeah keep you distance I locked up my wheels in Nashville came over hill dead stop traffic I was doing 65 4 lane traffic 2 left lanes were blocked because of accident I was in second from left over hill dead stop... I locked me up braking didn’t do #### in the rain I would have killed that person luckily I slid over to the right last second and missed everyone:) I was like #### #### ####. ####. Pulled over I #### my pants and pissed my pants had to change them. I thru the old dirty pants on the road as it’s always bad luck to carry the pants you #### in while driving a truck remember that! Always throw them right out on the road! It’s bad luck partner

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.