How much faster do you drive to the speed limit?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 2, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    There is times i have done 70 in oregon at like 2am and get passed by a can hauler doing about 85

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah me too, but for some reason those Oregon state troopers are sneaky and hiding where you least expect them, like on the shoulder coming around a curve. In California, at least I know where they're going to be sitting.

D.Tibbitt and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I usually do 4mph over the limit up to my trucks governed speed of 71. On the interstate I mean. In town I'm usually spending my life trying to get UP TO the speed limit since my truck seems to be equipped with a red light sensor that triggers every green light to turn yellow at the last second so I have to slam on the brakes to not run the light. So I don't worry much in towns. I know there are areas in my state where the city kittys sit and hit you just on the other side of the 45mph sign coming out of a 65mph zone for 50 miles.

I don't really care about other truckers speeding other than in work zones. ACTIVE work zones. I've seen this a lot more lately than when I first started driving. I don't know WTF drivers are thinking.

The other thing that pisses me off is when these #### truck drivers will speed to get around me and then take the next exit literally 500ft in front of me. Was passing me REALLY necessary? I was doing 71 in a 70 and you pass me and slam on the brakes to make the next exit. Morons.

TokyoJoe, sirhwy, TheLoadOut and 7 others Thank this.
  5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Never thought of it that way before, you are right about that.
    Wow, I definitely would not be happy if I got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit.

SteveScott, Chinatown and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They got places to go, people to see, and #### to do, and apparently not enough to time to get it all in. I usually run about 5 to 6 over, I'll let it wind up further if I'm going down hill and right back up the other side. I'll leave it to the firewall passing somebody on a two lane, I don't like hanging out in the oncoming lane any longer than absolutely necessary.

TokyoJoe and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Oh good - by the dates and times offered it was not me.

Carry on.

8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    when im driving thru LA,NYC or Chicago i usually drive about 5-10mph

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I ain't gon lie, when im jersey i roll 72-75 along with all the other big guys. 72 they won't bat an eye. Same with pa roll 72-73 all day long w/o trouble. Ny on the other hand 70 is about all I'll do. Mass is the same as dirty jersey

Badmon and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I havent heard anyone mention bull wagons. Those guys are movin! I envy those guys sometimes. I have always wondered why they are always running 85 & seem to never get caught or think anything about it.

11. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    5 over in the great beyond; 5 under wherever idiots gather (excluding limited access, that’s like a little slice of the beyond).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.