How often do you do your pre trip inspections?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lightning01, May 18, 2020.

1. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    When I shutdown for my ten, I do a post-trip so I am not surprised after my break. Then when I do my pre-trip, I kinda feel like a retard because I had already did it, but sometimes flat tires, a leak, a lizard with a sharp knife, will change your plans.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Wow this thread started off with “Cmon now let’s be real” smh it doesn’t make sense to not be checking your truck out all the time. Local drivers that slipseat don’t know what ditch the other driver put the truck in so it’s better to cya before you hop in it it only take 15 mins tops. As otr and regional your about to go xxx miles every trip. If youre company driver you’ll find when something small does go wrong it turns into a whole lost day and sometimes 3-4. And I’m sure as a o/o that’s more coming out of your pockets. I always did a thorough post trip everyday when I was otr and a quick pretrip every morning just to make sure I didn’t miss anything or somebody goofed with my truck. And always do a quick check to make sure my fifth wheel is locked cause it only takes 2 second to check and for someone to pull it ...

You don’t have to do the school pretrip as someone mentioned but you are carrying 80k, I’d respect it

4. Zues

Zues Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2020
    I actually do more through inspection as I run checking for heat at all tires and axles but pre trip is NEVER skipped lost a steering arm on the road once only reinforced:)

5. Zues

Zues Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Correction pitman arm sorry

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I do pre trip , post trip, and mid trips and always looking around while checking straps and tarps. It takes 10 to 15 minutes. Dont be lazy

7. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    What we know about the 20 victims of the Schoharie limo crash

Plz look at this article. One of the 20, Rob Dyson, was my coworker at Stebbins engineering. Amazing guy. Kind and helpful.
    His wife and her 3 sisters were the reason for the birthday celebration. Robs 3 year old and a pair of cousins were orphaned that day. A mother lost ALL 4 of her daughters....
    And if only the limo driver had done a pretrip.
    Is it really that much to ask? Considering how much it might cost?

Bean Jr. and meechyaboy Thank this.
  8. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Never im a company driver. The only thing I do is a tug test. Other than that I eat breakfast make coffee and hit the road. Never had a problem during dot inspections , I always choose companies with new equipment. Most mornings I don't even go as much as to open the driver's side door. Most truckers don't do pre trips I'd say it's definitely a tiny percentage that does . It's just a waste of time to me

9. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    TF!!? I do a pre trip every morning, I do an even more in depth inspection every night. Heck I do an inspection EVERY time I stop

kemosabi49, Bean Jr., Dennixx and 3 others Thank this.
  10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Used to have drivers review each other to make sure no bad habits had crept into our routine. Got called in early for a gas station that was about to run out and sure enuff it was my turn to be evaluated. When we sat down with the boss for the review the only complaint was I did my pre trip in 5 min. I had called out what I was doing as I did it.
    So I asked did I miss anything.
    He said no.
    Boss said then it wasn't too fast.

10-15 for a decent pre-trip isn't that darn much time. Once in a blue moon you find something that would have caused you a headache later on the road. Totally worth the time.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and Dennixx Thank this.
  11. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Complete pre trip every single day including open hood motor inspection, in cab, trailer dog house and motor box w hyd lines. (cryo tank) approximately 20 to 30 minutes.

Bean Jr. and meechyaboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.