How often do you lube your wiper mechanism?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Sep 18, 2019.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Have taken apart and cleaned many pivot shafts on KW with the bronze bushings and lubed when re- assembled. Sprague wiper assembly never impressed me as being weather tight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have never heard about a wiper mechanism that needs lubrication. I have only ever closely examined a few, and they were all electric motors with purely mechanical hard point connections. Any bearings were sealed bearings in the motor.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Good job ... Now you've given everyone with OCD something else to worry about.

Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt, snowwy and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Just think of what could happen if your unlubricated wiper linkage binds up during a downpour at highway speeds.

D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Midnight, are you bored?

Out of all vehicles I ever owned, throughout the many years, I only owned one vehicle that required anything done to the wipers, and that was because the car sat for decades in a field before I hauled it out of there.

I think the number of trucks that have been in the shop for wiper problems is zero.

D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My Volvo is the best truck in the world and deserves the best maintenance. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t neglecting anything. Because of all the great responses I have received in this thread I will now shift the focus of my worry to the 1/64th of an inch of play I have in the u-joint of my steering column.

D.Tibbitt, Farmerbob1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I lube my wipers up every time I lube the door handles, light switch, and radio controls.
    In other words never.

9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Oh God lol.

I'm not saying your wrong because Volvo makes a #### nice truck but I don't see that going without someone taking a shot at it lol.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah right, my macks are the American brother to the Volvo and macks piss on the Volvo.

You know midnight, I have never seen a Mack rusting in the bottom of the door like I see Volvos. I have somewhere in my 10000000000000 images one of a Volvo from London Ontario where the door was rusted four inches from the bottom edge and at the bottom of the window had rusted through. I could not believe how bad it was, but then you claim they are the best in the world.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't lube the wipers I just lube the windshield, when I stop at truck stops where some ### hole used the squeezes to clean the diesel off the side of his truck...

on a more serious note, when I ran for Prime they usually take really good care of their trucks but my last one was a short 5 months lease over all it was a good truck, but coming through NYC on 95 near the GW bridge in that concrete canyon mess of traffic and bumps.. Well it was raining like a mofo and I hit a bump and the wipers completely stopped working..

Of course it was night time, raining can't see ####, nowhere to pull off and I had to drive through that with no wipers until I got to the rest stop on the other side of the bridge. The entire wiper arm assembly popped off the little pivot points. The ####### who had the truck before had the things tie wrapped on there somehow. I popped it back on and ran it that way the last month I had the truck and turned it in just like that too.. I never greased it though..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.