how stupid do they think we are

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Want to get rid of the pay crap, get rid of a bunch of drivers so they stop treating drivers like a a commodity.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If you want to see a lot of drivers become dairy farmers (as in milking the clock), pay them hourly. They will have to hire so many drivers to cover existing freight volumes that you won't be able to park anywhere...if you doubt this, go somewhere that gets a lot of LTL P&D drivers and watch how many are dragging their ### around riding the clock. I prefer the per mile pay system. Percentage is great, when freight rates are up, but I make the same loaded or empty no matter what the company makes for the load.

88 Alpha and gokiddogo Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    That is true, but I did hourly dump truck..... I don't milk the clock, but I guess I have work ethics.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    There is also a difference between milking the clock AND slowing down for safety reasons when the weather is bad.

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Unfortunately, proper work ethics are less common than it use to be in this work field.

7. Mulholland316

Mulholland316 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Knoxville TN
    Day pay, really isn't that bad, I make 400$ per day regarless of miles ran I love it as long as I'm in truck.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not all of us do that. I for one don’t even like taking 30’s. Some of us want to get done and go home.

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You said a mouthful there, sir.

Standards have been lowered to the point we aren't rewarding professionalism anymore. That's been replaced with nanny cams and idiot proofing the controls.

OP, want more respect and more money? ALWAYS keep learning your craft and stay on the path to becoming a true professional.

Another word of advice, "Think outside the box". Dry van carriers make less per mile than any other carriers. Look around you at all the different semi trailers being pulled by semi trucks. All those drivers make more money than a dry van driver on average, because their company can charge more to haul that freight.

If your job doesn't have at least ONE of the three D's, you are missing out on opportunity: Dirty, Difficult, and Dangerous.

What are YOU doing to prepare yourself for the next step UP in your career? Looking for "no touch freight" and "All the miles you can puke on?". Start thinking outside the ####ing box.

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Western Express ---- is one of the multitude of companies that promise accessorial pay, but do everything in the world to cheat a driver out of it. No concoction of accessorial offered by a mega could come from the deficit in addition the advertisement gives.

Some one toke the average miles of a Western Express driver (1800miles a week) and added to an advertisement including the theoretical maximum of money earnable at their pay rate from a driver that wasn't under the thumb of Western Express.

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Under piece work pay you find it is management that is milking the clock. Piece work pay subsidies and encourages deficient micromanagement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.